First-in-human phase I study of iadademstat (ORY-1001): a first-in-class lysine-specific histone demethylase 1a inhibitor, in relapsed or refractory acute myeloid leukemia
Pérez-Simón, J. A.
Arévalo, M. I.
Somervaille, Tim C P
AffiliationHospital Vall d'Hebron, Vall D'Hebron Institute of Oncology, Departament de Medicina, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, UAB, Barcelona, Spain.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPurpose: Iadademstat is a novel, highly potent, and selective inhibitor of LSD1 (KDM1A), with preclinical in vitro and in vivo antileukemic activity. This study aimed to determine safety and tolerability of iadademstat as monotherapy in patients with relapsed/refractory acute myeloid leukemia (R/R AML). Methods: This phase I, nonrandomized, open-label, dose-escalation (DE), and extension-cohort (EC) trial included patients with R/R AML and evaluated the safety, pharmacokinetics (PK), pharmacodynamics (PD), and preliminary antileukemic activity of this orally bioavailable first-in-class lysine-specific demethylase 1 inhibitor. Results: Twenty-seven patients were treated with iadademstat on days 1 to 5 (5-220 µg/m2/d) of each week in 28-day cycles in a DE phase that resulted in a recommended dose of 140 µg/m2/d of iadademstat as a single agent. This dose was chosen to treat all patients (n = 14) in an EC enriched with patients with MLL/KMT2A-rearranged AML. Most adverse events (AEs) were as expected in R/R AML and included myelosuppression and nonhematologic AEs, such as infections, asthenia, mucositis, and diarrhea. PK data demonstrated a dose-dependent increase in plasma exposure, and PD data confirmed a potent time- and exposure-dependent induction of differentiation biomarkers. Reductions in blood and bone marrow blast percentages were observed, together with induction of blast cell differentiation, in particular, in patients with MLL translocations. One complete remission with incomplete count recovery was observed in the DE arm. Conclusion: Iadademstat exhibits a good safety profile together with signs of clinical and biologic activity as a single agent in patients with R/R AML. A phase II trial of iadademstat in combination with azacitidine is ongoing (EudraCT No.: 2018-000482-36).
CitationSalamero O, Montesinos P, Willekens C, Perez-Simon JA, Pigneux A, Recher C, et al. First-in-Human Phase I Study of Iadademstat (ORY-1001): A First-in-Class Lysine-Specific Histone Demethylase 1A Inhibitor, in Relapsed or Refractory Acute Myeloid Leukemia. J Clin Oncol. 2020:JCO1903250.
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
- ORY-1001, a Potent and Selective Covalent KDM1A Inhibitor, for the Treatment of Acute Leukemia.
- Authors: Maes T, Mascaró C, Tirapu I, Estiarte A, Ciceri F, Lunardi S, Guibourt N, Perdones A, Lufino MMP, Somervaille TCP, Wiseman DH, Duy C, Melnick A, Willekens C, Ortega A, Martinell M, Valls N, Kurz G, Fyfe M, Castro-Palomino JC, Buesa C
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 12
- Clinical profile of gilteritinib in Japanese patients with relapsed/refractory acute myeloid leukemia: An open-label phase 1 study.
- Authors: Usuki K, Sakura T, Kobayashi Y, Miyamoto T, Iida H, Morita S, Bahceci E, Kaneko M, Kusano M, Yamada S, Takeshita S, Miyawaki S, Naoe T
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Quizartinib, an FLT3 inhibitor, as monotherapy in patients with relapsed or refractory acute myeloid leukaemia: an open-label, multicentre, single-arm, phase 2 trial.
- Authors: Cortes J, Perl AE, Döhner H, Kantarjian H, Martinelli G, Kovacsovics T, Rousselot P, Steffen B, Dombret H, Estey E, Strickland S, Altman JK, Baldus CD, Burnett A, Krämer A, Russell N, Shah NP, Smith CC, Wang ES, Ifrah N, Gammon G, Trone D, Lazzaretto D, Levis M
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Safety and preliminary efficacy of venetoclax with decitabine or azacitidine in elderly patients with previously untreated acute myeloid leukaemia: a non-randomised, open-label, phase 1b study.
- Authors: DiNardo CD, Pratz KW, Letai A, Jonas BA, Wei AH, Thirman M, Arellano M, Frattini MG, Kantarjian H, Popovic R, Chyla B, Xu T, Dunbar M, Agarwal SK, Humerickhouse R, Mabry M, Potluri J, Konopleva M, Pollyea DA
- Issue date: 2018 Feb
- The LSD1 inhibitor iadademstat (ORY-1001) targets SOX2-driven breast cancer stem cells: a potential epigenetic therapy in luminal-B and HER2-positive breast cancer subtypes.
- Authors: Cuyàs E, Gumuzio J, Verdura S, Brunet J, Bosch-Barrera J, Martin-Castillo B, Alarcón T, Encinar JA, Martin ÁG, Menendez JA
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 18