RUNX1 marks a luminal castration resistant lineage established at the onset of prostate development
Galbraith, L. C.
Fadlullah, Muhammad Z H
Leung, H. Y.
AffiliationStem Cell Biology, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, The University of Manchester, Macclesfield
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe characterization of prostate epithelial hierarchy and lineage heterogeneity is critical to understand its regenerative properties and malignancies. Here, we report that the transcription factor RUNX1 marks a specific subpopulation of proximal luminal cells (PLCs), enriched in the periurethral region of the developing and adult mouse prostate, and distinct from the previously identified NKX3.1+ luminal castration-resistant cells. Using scRNA-seq profiling and genetic lineage tracing, we show that RUNX1+ PLCs are unaffected by androgen deprivation, and do not contribute to the regeneration of the distal luminal compartments. Furthermore, we demonstrate that a transcriptionally similar RUNX1+ population emerges at the onset of embryonic prostate specification to populate the proximal region of the ducts. Collectively, our results reveal that RUNX1+ PLCs is an intrinsic castration-resistant and self-sustained lineage that emerges early during prostate development and provide new insights into the lineage relationships of the prostate epithelium.
CitationMevel R, Steiner I, Mason S, Galbraith LC, Patel R, Fadlullah MZ, et al. RUNX1 marks a luminal castration-resistant lineage established at the onset of prostate development. Elife. 2020;9.
- Bmi1 marks distinct castration-resistant luminal progenitor cells competent for prostate regeneration and tumour initiation.
- Authors: Yoo YA, Roh M, Naseem AF, Lysy B, Desouki MM, Unno K, Abdulkadir SA
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 5
- Urethral luminal epithelia are castration-insensitive cells of the proximal prostate.
- Authors: Joseph DB, Henry GH, Malewska A, Iqbal NS, Ruetten HM, Turco AE, Abler LL, Sandhu SK, Cadena MT, Malladi VS, Reese JC, Mauck RJ, Gahan JC, Hutchinson RC, Roehrborn CG, Baker LA, Vezina CM, Strand DW
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- A rare castration-resistant progenitor cell population is highly enriched in Pten-null prostate tumours.
- Authors: Sackmann Sala L, Boutillon F, Menara G, De Goyon-Pélard A, Leprévost M, Codzamanian J, Lister N, Pencik J, Clark A, Cagnard N, Bole-Feysot C, Moriggl R, Risbridger GP, Taylor RA, Kenner L, Guidotti JE, Goffin V
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Transcriptional regulation of the <i>Nkx3.1</i> gene in prostate luminal stem cell specification and cancer initiation via its 3' genomic region.
- Authors: Xie Q, Wang ZA
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 18
- Single-Cell Analysis Identifies LY6D as a Marker Linking Castration-Resistant Prostate Luminal Cells to Prostate Progenitors and Cancer.
- Authors: Barros-Silva JD, Linn DE, Steiner I, Guo G, Ali A, Pakula H, Ashton G, Peset I, Brown M, Clarke NW, Bronson RT, Yuan GC, Orkin SH, Li Z, Baena E
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 18