Core outcome set for the management of acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: the COS-AECOPD ERS Task Force study protocol
AuthorsMathioudakis, A. G.
Romero, G. F.
Huerta, A. G.
Leuppi, J. D.
McDonald, V. M.
Williamson, P. R.
Jensen, J. U.
AffiliationDivision of Infection, Immunity and Respiratory Medicine, School of Biological Sciences, The University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRandomised controlled trials (RCTs) on the management of COPD exacerbations evaluate heterogeneous outcomes, often omitting those that are clinically important and patient relevant. This limits their usability and comparability. A core outcome set (COS) is a consensus-based minimum set of clinically important outcomes that should be evaluated in all RCTs in specific areas of health care. We present the study protocol of the COS-AECOPD ERS Task Force, aiming to develop a COS for COPD exacerbation management, that could remedy these limitations. For the development of this COS we follow standard methodology recommended by the COMET initiative. A comprehensive list of outcomes is assembled through a methodological systematic review of the outcomes reported in relevant RCTs. Qualitative research with patients with COPD will also be conducted, aiming to identify additional outcomes that may be important to patients, but are not currently addressed in clinical research studies. Prioritisation of the core outcomes will be facilitated through an extensive, multi-stakeholder Delphi survey with a global reach. Selection will be finalised in an international, multi-stakeholder meeting. For every core outcome, we will recommend a specific measurement instrument and standardised time points for evaluation. Selection of instruments will be based on evidence-informed consensus. Our work will improve the quality, usability and comparability of future RCTs on the management of COPD exacerbations and, ultimately, the care of patients with COPD. Multi-stakeholder engagement and societal support by the European Respiratory Society will raise awareness and promote implementation of the COS.
CitationMathioudakis AG, Abroug F, Agusti A, Bakke P, Bartziokas K, Beghe B, et al. Core outcome set for the management of acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: the COS-AECOPD ERS Task Force study protocol. ERJ Open Res. 2020;6(3).
JournalERJ Open Research
- IMMPACT-recommended outcome measures and tools of assessment in burning mouth syndrome RCTs: an international Delphi survey protocol.
- Authors: Carey B, Farag AM, Nasri-Heir C, Klasser GD, Ariyawardana A, Chmieliauskaite M, Sardella A, Carlson CR, Miller CS, Mejia L, O'Neill FE, Albuquerque R
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 12
- Protocol for the development of a core outcome set for pelvic girdle pain, including methods for measuring the outcomes: the PGP-COS study.
- Authors: Wuytack F, Gutke A, Stuge B, Mørkved S, Olsson C, Robinson HS, Vøllestad NK, Öberg B, Wikmar LN, Mena JJS, Smith V
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 3
- Core Outcome Measures in Effectiveness Trials (COMET) initiative: protocol for an international Delphi study to achieve consensus on how to select outcome measurement instruments for outcomes included in a 'core outcome set'.
- Authors: Prinsen CA, Vohra S, Rose MR, King-Jones S, Ishaque S, Bhaloo Z, Adams D, Terwee CB
- Issue date: 2014 Jun 25
- Outcomes reported on the management of COPD exacerbations: a systematic survey of randomised controlled trials.
- Authors: Mathioudakis AG, Moberg M, Janner J, Alonso-Coello P, Vestbo J
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Development of a Core Outcome Set for Studies on Obesity in Pregnant Patients (COSSOPP): a study protocol.
- Authors: Dadouch R, Faheim M, Juando-Prats C, Parsons J, D'Souza R, COSSOPP Investigators.
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 27