Caring for older patients with cancer during the COVID-19 pandemic: A Young International Society of Geriatric Oncology (SIOG) global perspective
Battisti, N. M. L.
de Glas, N.
Neuendorff, N. R.
Lok, W. C. W.
Loh, K. P.
AffiliationRadiation Oncology Unit, Department of Experimental Biomedical and Clinical Medicine, University of Florence, Viale Morgagni 50, 50134 Florence, Italy.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe ongoing coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic has affected millions of people in over 180 territories, causing a significant impact on healthcare systems globally. Older adults, as well as people living with cancer, appear to be particularly vulnerable to COVID-19 related morbidity and mortality, which means that older adults with cancer are an especially high-risk population. This has led to significant changes in the way geriatric oncologists provide care to older patients, including the implementation of novel methods for clinical visits, interruptions or delays in procedures, and modification of therapeutic strategies, both in the curative and palliative settings. In this manuscript, we provide a global overview of the perspectives of geriatric oncology providers from countries across Europe, America, and Asia, regarding the adaptive strategies utilized to continue providing high quality care for older patients with cancer during the COVID-19 pandemic. Through these perspectives, we attempt to show that, although each country and setting has specific issues, we all face similar challenges when providing care for our older patients with cancer during these difficult times.
CitationDesideri I, Pilleron S, Battisti NML, Gomes F, de Glas N, Neuendorff NR, et al. Caring for older patients with cancer during the COVID-19 pandemic: A Young International Society of Geriatric Oncology (SIOG) global perspective. J Geriatr Oncol. 2020;11(7):1175-81.
JournalJournal of Geriatric Oncology
- Global oncology pharmacy response to COVID-19 pandemic: Medication access and safety.
- Authors: Alexander M, Jupp J, Chazan G, O'Connor S, Chan A
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- Delivering Cancer Care During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Recommendations and Lessons Learned From ASCO Global Webinars.
- Authors: Jazieh AR, Chan SL, Curigliano G, Dickson N, Eaton V, Garcia-Foncillas J, Gilmore T, Horn L, Kerr DJ, Lee J, Mathias C, Nogueira-Rodrigues A, Pierce L, Rogado A, Schilsky RL, Soria JC, Warner JL, Yoshida K
- Issue date: 2020 Sep
- A Practical Approach to the Management of Cancer Patients During the Novel Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic: An International Collaborative Group.
- Authors: Al-Shamsi HO, Alhazzani W, Alhuraiji A, Coomes EA, Chemaly RF, Almuhanna M, Wolff RA, Ibrahim NK, Chua MLK, Hotte SJ, Meyers BM, Elfiki T, Curigliano G, Eng C, Grothey A, Xie C
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Oncology Clinical Trials During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Authors: Lara Gongoria AB, Fontes Jardim DL, Bastos DA
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 15
- The impact of the coronavirus pandemic on the management of cancer patients in Lebanon: a single institutional experience.
- Authors: Kattan C, Badreddine H, Rassy E, Kourie HR, Kattan J
- Issue date: 2020 Jun