Understanding the effects of radiotherapy on the tumour immune microenvironment to identify potential prognostic and predictive biomarkers of radiotherapy response
AffiliationManchester Academic Health Science Centre, Manchester NIHR Biomedical Research Centre, Division of Cancer Sciences, Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, University of Manchester, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRadiotherapy (RT) is a highly effective anti-cancer treatment. Immunotherapy using immune checkpoint blockade (ICI) has emerged as a new and robust pillar in cancer therapy; however, the response rate to single agent ICI is low whilst toxicity remains. Radiotherapy has been shown to have local and systemic immunomodulatory effects. Therefore, combining RT and immunotherapy is a rational approach to enhance anti-tumour immune responses. However, the immunomodulatory effects of RT can be both immunostimulatory or immunosuppressive and may be different across different tumour types and patients. Therefore, there is an urgent medical need to establish biomarkers to guide clinical decision making in predicting responses or in patient selection for RT-based combination treatments. In this review, we summarize the immunological effects of RT on the tumour microenvironment and emerging biomarkers to help better understand the implications of these immunological changes, and we provide new insights into the potential for combination therapies with RT and immunotherapy.
CitationCheng S, Cheadle EJ, Illidge TM. Understanding the Effects of Radiotherapy on the Tumour Immune Microenvironment to Identify Potential Prognostic and Predictive Biomarkers of Radiotherapy Response. Cancers (Basel). 2020;12(10).
- Reprogramming the tumour microenvironment by radiotherapy: implications for radiotherapy and immunotherapy combinations.
- Authors: Colton M, Cheadle EJ, Honeychurch J, Illidge TM
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 4
- Future perspectives in melanoma research : Meeting report from the "Melanoma Bridge". Napoli, December 1st-4th 2015.
- Authors: Ascierto PA, Agarwala S, Botti G, Cesano A, Ciliberto G, Davies MA, Demaria S, Dummer R, Eggermont AM, Ferrone S, Fu YX, Gajewski TF, Garbe C, Huber V, Khleif S, Krauthammer M, Lo RS, Masucci G, Palmieri G, Postow M, Puzanov I, Silk A, Spranger S, Stroncek DF, Tarhini A, Taube JM, Testori A, Wang E, Wargo JA, Yee C, Zarour H, Zitvogel L, Fox BA, Mozzillo N, Marincola FM, Thurin M
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 15
- The influence of radiation in the context of developing combination immunotherapies in cancer.
- Authors: Honeychurch J, Illidge TM
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- Stereotactic ablative radiotherapy and immunotherapy combinations: turning the future into systemic therapy?
- Authors: Walshaw RC, Honeychurch J, Illidge TM
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- Nanoscale metal-organic frameworks enhance radiotherapy to potentiate checkpoint blockade immunotherapy.
- Authors: Ni K, Lan G, Chan C, Quigley B, Lu K, Aung T, Guo N, La Riviere P, Weichselbaum RR, Lin W
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 15