Nutritional support in stem cell transplantation programs: Results from a multicenter survey of nurses on behalf of the Nurses Group and Transplant Complications Working Party of the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation and the Gruppo Italiano Trapianto di Midollo Osseo
van der Werf, S.
Duarte, R. F.
Basak, G. W.
Liptrott, S. J.
AffiliationHematology Unit, Azienda Unità Sanitaria Locale IRCCS, Reggio Emilia, Italy.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjectives: Malnutrition in patients undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplant (HSCT) can develop rapidly without appropriate nutritional support and affect morbidity and mortality. Guidance to monitor and manage nutrition status is described within the literature; however, whether this is applied in clinical practice is unclear. Methods: This paper describes a cross-sectional survey to explore current practice approaches in nutrition support management and adherence to international guidelines. Results: A total of 108 nurses from 108 centers across 16 countries replied to the questionnaire. A significant variation was observed regarding the availability of documents supporting the monitoring and management of nutrition status, application of recommendations, and nutritional practices. Discussion: The findings revealed that country was the most important factor influencing the differences in practice; however, significant differences were also observed based on patient age group (pediatrics vs. adults), department composition (hematology + HSCT unit vs. HSCT unit alone), and availability of nutrition health care professionals. Behavioral differences regarding nutritional practice approaches could be indicative of differences in knowledge or subject awareness, as well as a reflection of diversity across health care system policies. Conclusions: Guideline dissemination and raising awareness through educational campaigns are suggested approaches to improve health care professionals' knowledge and sensitivity to this important topic.
CitationBotti S, van der Werf S, Stringer J, Eeltink C, Murray J, Ciceri F, et al. Nutritional support in stem cell transplantation programs: Results from a multicenter survey of nurses on behalf of the Nurses Group and Transplant Complications Working Party of the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation and the Gruppo Italiano Trapianto di Midollo Osseo. Nutrition. 2020;79-80:110998.
- Antiemetic prophylaxis in patients undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: a multicenter survey of the Gruppo Italiano Trapianto Midollo Osseo (GITMO) transplant programs.
- Authors: Pastore D, Bruno B, Carluccio P, De Candia MS, Mammoliti S, Borghero C, Chierichini A, Pavan F, Casini M, Pini M, Nassi L, Greco R, Tambaro FP, Stefanoni P, Console G, Marchesi F, Facchini L, Mussetti A, Cimminiello M, Saglio F, Vincenti D, Falcioni S, Chiusolo P, Olivieri J, Natale A, Faraci M, Cesaro S, Marotta S, Proia A, Donnini I, Caravelli D, Zuffa E, Iori AP, Soncini E, Bozzoli V, Pisapia G, Scalone R, Villani O, Prete A, Ferrari A, Menconi M, Mancini G, Gigli F, Gargiulo G, Bruno B, Patriarca F, Bonifazi F
- Issue date: 2020 Apr
- Nutritional support in patients undergoing haematopoietic stem cell transplantation: a multicentre survey of the Gruppo Italiano Trapianto Midollo Osseo (GITMO) transplant programmes.
- Authors: Botti S, Liptrott SJ, Gargiulo G, Orlando L
- Issue date: 2015
- Nutrition Support Practices of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Centers in Mainland China.
- Authors: Fang Y, Liu MJ, Zhang WW, Xie C, Liu ZZ
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Nutritional support practices in hematopoietic stem cell transplantation centers: A nationwide comparison.
- Authors: Baumgartner A, Bargetzi M, Bargetzi A, Zueger N, Medinger M, Passweg J, Schanz U, Samaras P, Chalandon Y, Pichard C, Limonta A, Wannesson L, Pabst T, Duchosal MA, Hess U, Stanga Z, Mueller B, Schuetz P
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Nursing role in the assessment and care of hepatic sinusoidal obstruction syndrome patients: a consensus paper by the "Gruppo Italiano Trapianto di Midollo Osseo".
- Authors: Botti S, Agreiter I, Orlando L, Gargiulo G, Bonifazi F, Banfi MM, Cappucciati L, Caffarri C, De Cecco V, Deiana GM, Gavezzotti M, Magarò A, Netti MG, Pignatelli AC, Rostagno E, Samarani E, Cardoso JS, Soave S, Valente CM, Vedovetto A, Zecca M, Luminari S, Merli F, Guberti M
- Issue date: 2020 Nov