Clinical and translational research challenges in neuroendocrine tumours
AffiliationDivision of Cancer Sciences, School of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNeuroendocrine tumours (NETs) represent a range of neoplasms that may arise from any (neuro)endocrine cell situated in any part of the human body. As any other rare diseases, NETs face several difficulties in relation to research. This review will describe some of the main challenges and proposed solutions faced by researchers with expertise in rare malignancies. Some of the most common challenges in clinical and translational research are enumerated in this review, covering aspects from clinical, translational and basic research. NETs being a heterogeneous group of diseases and a limited sample size of clinical and translational research projects are the main challenges. Challenges with NETs lay over the disparities between healthcare models to tackle rare diseases. NETs add an extra layer of complexity due to a numerous group of different entities. Prospective real-world data trials are an opportunity for rare cancers with the revolution of electronic health technologies. This review explores potential solutions to these challenges that could be useful not only to the NET community but also to other rare tumours researchers.
CitationBarriuso J, Lamarca A. Clinical and Translational Research Challenges in Neuroendocrine Tumours. Curr Med Chem. 2020;27(29):4823-39.
JournalCurrent Medicinal Chemistry
- Treatment challenges in and outside a network setting: Gastrointestinal neuroendocrine tumours.
- Authors: Laskaratos FM, Caplin M
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- An overview of the current diagnosis and recent developments in neuroendocrine tumours of the gastroenteropancreatic tract: the diagnostic approach.
- Authors: Kuiper P, Verspaget HW, Overbeek LI, Biemond I, Lamers CB
- Issue date: 2011 Jan
- Genetics of neuroendocrine and carcinoid tumours.
- Authors: Leotlela PD, Jauch A, Holtgreve-Grez H, Thakker RV
- Issue date: 2003 Dec
- Translational research in neuroendocrine tumors: pitfalls and opportunities.
- Authors: Capdevila J, Casanovas O, Salazar R, Castellano D, Segura A, Fuster P, Aller J, García-Carbonero R, Jimenez-Fonseca P, Grande E, Castaño JP
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 6
- Rare neuroendocrine tumours: results of the surveillance of rare cancers in Europe project.
- Authors: van der Zwan JM, Trama A, Otter R, Larrañaga N, Tavilla A, Marcos-Gragera R, Dei Tos AP, Baudin E, Poston G, Links T, RARECARE WG.
- Issue date: 2013 Jul