Genomic copy number predicts esophageal cancer years before transformation
Wedge, David C
Woodcock, D. J.
Eldridge, M. D.
de la Rue, R.
Jenkins, A. V.
Fitzgerald, R. C.
AffiliationMedical Research Council Cancer Unit, Hutchison/Medical Research Council Research Centre, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRecent studies show that aneuploidy and driver gene mutations precede cancer diagnosis by many years1-4. We assess whether these genomic signals can be used for early detection and pre-emptive cancer treatment using the neoplastic precursor lesion Barrett's esophagus as an exemplar5. Shallow whole-genome sequencing of 777 biopsies, sampled from 88 patients in Barrett's esophagus surveillance over a period of up to 15 years, shows that genomic signals can distinguish progressive from stable disease even 10 years before histopathological transformation. These findings are validated on two independent cohorts of 76 and 248 patients. These methods are low-cost and applicable to standard clinical biopsy samples. Compared with current management guidelines based on histopathology and clinical presentation, genomic classification enables earlier treatment for high-risk patients as well as reduction of unnecessary treatment and monitoring for patients who are unlikely to develop cancer.
CitationKillcoyne S, Gregson E, Wedge DC, Woodcock DJ, Eldridge MD, de la Rue R, et al. Genomic copy number predicts esophageal cancer years before transformation. Nat Med. 2020.
- Predictors of progression in Barrett's esophagus II: baseline 17p (p53) loss of heterozygosity identifies a patient subset at increased risk for neoplastic progression.
- Authors: Reid BJ, Prevo LJ, Galipeau PC, Sanchez CA, Longton G, Levine DS, Blount PL, Rabinovitch PS
- Issue date: 2001 Oct
- Detection of Mutations in Barrett's Esophagus Before Progression to High-Grade Dysplasia or Adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Stachler MD, Camarda ND, Deitrick C, Kim A, Agoston AT, Odze RD, Hornick JL, Nag A, Thorner AR, Ducar M, Noffsinger A, Lash RH, Redston M, Carter SL, Davison JM, Bass AJ
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Early Barrett's carcinoma of the esophagus.
- Authors: Hölscher AH, Vallböhmer D, Bollschweiler E
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Barrett's esophagus: evolutionary insights from genomics.
- Authors: Jankowski JA, Satsangi J
- Issue date: 2013 Apr
- Barrett's esophagus and esophageal cancer: an overview.
- Authors: Conteduca V, Sansonno D, Ingravallo G, Marangi S, Russi S, Lauletta G, Dammacco F
- Issue date: 2012 Aug