Resolution of R-loops by INO80 promotes DNA replication and maintains cancer cell proliferation and viability
McClurg, U. L.
Higgins, J. M. G.
AffiliationCancer Research UK Newcastle Drug Discovery Unit, Newcastle University Centre for Cancer, Newcastle University, Paul O'Gorman Building, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCollisions between the DNA replication machinery and co-transcriptional R-loops can impede DNA synthesis and are a major source of genomic instability in cancer cells. How cancer cells deal with R-loops to proliferate is poorly understood. Here we show that the ATP-dependent chromatin remodelling INO80 complex promotes resolution of R-loops to prevent replication-associated DNA damage in cancer cells. Depletion of INO80 in prostate cancer PC3 cells leads to increased R-loops. Overexpression of the RNA:DNA endonuclease RNAse H1 rescues the DNA synthesis defects and suppresses DNA damage caused by INO80 depletion. R-loops co-localize with and promote recruitment of INO80 to chromatin. Artificial tethering of INO80 to a LacO locus enabled turnover of R-loops in cis. Finally, counteracting R-loops by INO80 promotes proliferation and averts DNA damage-induced death in cancer cells. Our work suggests that INO80-dependent resolution of R-loops promotes DNA replication in the presence of transcription, thus enabling unlimited proliferation in cancers.
CitationPrendergast L, McClurg UL, Hristova R, Berlinguer-Palmini R, Greener S, Veitch K, et al. Resolution of R-loops by INO80 promotes DNA replication and maintains cancer cell proliferation and viability. Nat Commun. 2020;11(1):4534.
- BAP1 promotes stalled fork restart and cell survival via INO80 in response to replication stress.
- Authors: Lee HS, Seo HR, Lee SA, Choi S, Kang D, Kwon J
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 30
- ATAD5 restricts R-loop formation through PCNA unloading and RNA helicase maintenance at the replication fork.
- Authors: Kim S, Kang N, Park SH, Wells J, Hwang T, Ryu E, Kim BG, Hwang S, Kim SJ, Kang S, Lee S, Stirling P, Myung K, Lee KY
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 27
- Roles of the INO80 and SWR1 Chromatin Remodeling Complexes in Plants.
- Authors: Wang J, Gao S, Peng X, Wu K, Yang S
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 17
- BRD4 prevents the accumulation of R-loops and protects against transcription-replication collision events and DNA damage.
- Authors: Lam FC, Kong YW, Huang Q, Vu Han TL, Maffa AD, Kasper EM, Yaffe MB
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 14
- Replisome bypass of transcription complexes and R-loops.
- Authors: Brüning JG, Marians KJ
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 9