Treatment of brain metastases in small cell lung cancer: Decision-making amongst a multidisciplinary panel of European experts
AuthorsPutora, P. M.
Fischer, G. F.
Van Houtte, P.
Le Pechoux, C.
Slotman, B. J.
Troost, E. G. C.
Ares, L. P.
de Marinis, F.
De Ruysscher, D.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiation Oncology, Cantonal Hospital of St. Gallen, Switzerland; Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Bern, Switzerland
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Brain metastases (BM) are common in patients with small cell lung cancer (SCLC). In recent years, the role of whole brain radiotherapy (WBRT) for brain metastases in lung cancer is being reevaluated, especially in the context of new systemic treatments available for SCLC. With this analysis, we investigate decision-making in SCLC patients with BM among European experts in medical oncology and radiation oncology. Methods: We analyzed decision-making from 13 medical oncologists (selected by IASLC) and 13 radiation oncologists (selected by ESTRO) specialized in SCLC. Management strategies of individual experts were converted into decision trees and analyzed for consensus. Results and conclusion: In asymptomatic patients, chemotherapy alone is the most commonly recommended first line treatment. In asymptomatic patients with limited volume of brain metastases, a higher preference for chemotherapy without WBRT among medical oncologists compared to radiation oncologists was observed. For symptomatic patients, WBRT followed by chemotherapy was recommended most commonly. For limited extent of BM in symptomatic patients, some experts chose stereotactic radiotherapy as an alternative to WBRT. Significant variation in clinical decision-making was observed among European SCLC experts for the first line treatment of patients with SCLC and BM.
CitationPutora PM, Fischer GF, Fruh M, Califano R, Faivre-Finn C, Van Houtte P, et al. Treatment of brain metastases in small cell lung cancer: Decision-making amongst a multidisciplinary panel of European experts. Radiother Oncol. 2020;149:84-8.
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- Prophylactic cranial irradiation in stage IV small cell lung cancer: Selection of patients amongst European IASLC and ESTRO experts.
- Authors: Putora PM, Glatzer M, Belderbos J, Besse B, Blackhall F, Califano R, Cappuzzo F, de Marinis F, Dziadziuszko R, Felip E, Faivre-Finn C, Früh M, Garrido P, Le Pechoux C, McDonald F, Nestle U, Novello S, O'Brien M, Paz Ares L, Peeters S, Pöttgen C, Ramella S, Reck M, Slotman B, Troost EGC, Van Houtte P, Westeel V, Widder J, Mornex F, De Ruysscher D
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Consolidative thoracic radiotherapy in stage IV small cell lung cancer: Selection of patients amongst European IASLC and ESTRO experts.
- Authors: Putora PM, Glatzer M, De Ruysscher D, Faivre-Finn C, Belderbos J, Besse B, Blackhall F, Califano R, Cappuzzo F, de Marinis F, Dziadiuszko R, Felip E, Früh M, Garrido P, Le Pechoux C, McDonald F, Nestle U, Novello S, Brien MO, Paz Ares L, Peeters S, Pöttgen C, Ramella S, Reck M, Troost EGC, Van Houtte P, Westeel V, Widder J, Mornex F, Slotman BJ
- Issue date: 2019 Jun
- Management of patients with brain metastases from non-small cell lung cancer and adverse prognostic features: multi-national radiation treatment recommendations are heterogeneous.
- Authors: Nieder C, Guckenberger M, Gaspar LE, Rusthoven CG, De Ruysscher D, Sahgal A, Nguyen T, Grosu AL, Mehta MP
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 15
- Once daily versus twice-daily radiotherapy in the management of limited disease small cell lung cancer - Decision criteria in routine practise.
- Authors: Glatzer M, Faivre-Finn C, De Ruysscher D, Widder J, Van Houtte P, Troost EGC, Dahele MR, Slotman BJ, Ramella S, Pöttgen C, Peeters STH, Nestle U, McDonald F, Le Pechoux C, Dziadziuszko R, Belderbos J, Putora PM
- Issue date: 2020 Sep
- Outcome and prognostic factors in single brain metastases from small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Bernhardt D, Adeberg S, Bozorgmehr F, Opfermann N, Hörner-Rieber J, König L, Kappes J, Thomas M, Unterberg A, Herth F, Heußel CP, Warth A, Debus J, Steins M, Rieken S
- Issue date: 2018 Feb