Triplet therapy with palbociclib, taselisib and fulvestrant in PIK3CA mutant breast cancer and doublet palbociclib and taselisib in pathway mutant solid cancers
Lim, J. S. J.
Macpherson, I. R. J.
Armstrong, Anne C
Okines, A. F.
Cutts, R. J.
Herrera-Abreu, M. T.
Proszek, P. Z.
Swales, K. E.
Raynaud, F. I.
Yap, T. A.
Lopez, J. S.
Turner, N. C.
AffiliationBreast Cancer Now Toby Robins Research Centre, Institute of Cancer Research and The Royal Marsden Hospital.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCyclin-dependent kinase-4/6 (CDK4/6) and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3K) inhibitors synergise in PIK3CA mutant ER-positive HER2-negative breast cancer models. We conducted a phase Ib trial investigating safety and efficacy of doublet CDK4/6 inhibitor palbociclib plus selective PI3K inhibitor taselisib in advanced solid tumors, and triplet palbociclib plus taselisib plus fulvestrant in 25 patients with PIK3CA mutant, ER-positive HER2-negative advanced breast cancer. The triplet therapy response rate in PIK3CA mutant, ER-positive HER2-negative was 37.5% (95% CI 18.8-59.4). Durable disease control was observed in PIK3CA mutant ER-negative breast cancer and other solid tumors, with doublet therapy. Both combinations were well tolerated at pharmacodynamically active doses. In the triplet group, high baseline cyclin E1 expression associated with shorter progression-free survival (PFS) (HR 4.2, 95% CI 1.3-13.1, p=0.02). Early ctDNA dynamics demonstrated high on-treatment ctDNA association with shorter PFS (HR 5.2, 95% CI 1.4-19.4, p=0.04). Longitudinal plasma ctDNA sequencing provided genomic evolution evidence during triplet therapy.
CitationPascual J, Lim JSJ, Macpherson IRJ, Armstrong AC, Ring A, Okines AF, et al. Triplet therapy with palbociclib, taselisib and fulvestrant in PIK3CA mutant breast cancer and doublet palbociclib and taselisib in pathway mutant solid cancers. Cancer Discov. 2020.
- Phase III randomized study of taselisib or placebo with fulvestrant in estrogen receptor-positive, PIK3CA-mutant, HER2-negative, advanced breast cancer: the SANDPIPER trial.
- Authors: Dent S, Cortés J, Im YH, Diéras V, Harbeck N, Krop IE, Wilson TR, Cui N, Schimmoller F, Hsu JY, He J, De Laurentiis M, Sousa S, Drullinsky P, Jacot W
- Issue date: 2021 Feb
- Neoadjuvant letrozole plus taselisib versus letrozole plus placebo in postmenopausal women with oestrogen receptor-positive, HER2-negative, early-stage breast cancer (LORELEI): a multicentre, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 2 trial.
- Authors: Saura C, Hlauschek D, Oliveira M, Zardavas D, Jallitsch-Halper A, de la Peña L, Nuciforo P, Ballestrero A, Dubsky P, Lombard JM, Vuylsteke P, Castaneda CA, Colleoni M, Santos Borges G, Ciruelos E, Fornier M, Boer K, Bardia A, Wilson TR, Stout TJ, Hsu JY, Shi Y, Piccart M, Gnant M, Baselga J, de Azambuja E
- Issue date: 2019 Sep
- Phase II Study of Taselisib (GDC-0032) in Combination with Fulvestrant in Patients with HER2-Negative, Hormone Receptor-Positive Advanced Breast Cancer.
- Authors: Dickler MN, Saura C, Richards DA, Krop IE, Cervantes A, Bedard PL, Patel MR, Pusztai L, Oliveira M, Cardenas AK, Cui N, Wilson TR, Stout TJ, Wei MC, Hsu JY, Baselga J
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 15
- Fulvestrant plus palbociclib versus fulvestrant plus placebo for treatment of hormone-receptor-positive, HER2-negative metastatic breast cancer that progressed on previous endocrine therapy (PALOMA-3): final analysis of the multicentre, double-blind, phase 3 randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Cristofanilli M, Turner NC, Bondarenko I, Ro J, Im SA, Masuda N, Colleoni M, DeMichele A, Loi S, Verma S, Iwata H, Harbeck N, Zhang K, Theall KP, Jiang Y, Bartlett CH, Koehler M, Slamon D
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Circulating tumor DNA as a dynamic biomarker of response to palbociclib and fulvestrant in metastatic breast cancer patients.
- Authors: Darrigues L, Pierga JY, Bernard-Tessier A, Bièche I, Silveira AB, Michel M, Loirat D, Cottu P, Cabel L, Dubot C, Geiss R, Ricci F, Vincent-Salomon A, Proudhon C, Bidard FC
- Issue date: 2021 Mar 6