Primary glomus tumour of the pituitary gland: diagnostic challenges of a rare and potentially aggressive neoplasm
AuthorsQuah, B. L.
Donofrio, C. A.
La Rosa, S.
Brouland, J. P.
Pathmanaban, O. N.
Murtaza, M. O.
AffiliationDepartment of Neurosurgery, Manchester Centre for Clinical Neurosciences, Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPrimary non-neuroendocrine tumours of the pituitary gland and sella are rare lesions often challenging to diagnose. We describe two cases of clinically aggressive primary glomus tumour of the pituitary gland. The lesions occurred in a 63-year-old male and a 30-year-old female who presented with headache, blurred vision and hypopituitarism. Neuroimaging demonstrated large sellar and suprasellar tumours invading the surrounding structures. Histologically, the lesions were characterised by angiocentric sheets and nests of atypical cells that expressed vimentin, smooth muscle actin and CD34. Perivascular deposition of collagen IV was also a feature. Case 2 expressed synaptophysin. INI-1 (SMARCB1) expression was preserved. Both lesions were mitotically active and demonstrated a Ki-67 labelling index of 30%. Next-generation sequencing performed in case 1 showed no mutations in the reading frame of 37 commonly mutated oncogenes, including BRAF and KRAS. Four pituitary glomus tumours have previously been reported, none of which showed features of malignant glomus tumour. Similar to our two patients, three previous examples displayed aggressive behaviour.
CitationQuah BL, Donofrio CA, La Rosa S, Brouland JP, Cossu G, Djoukhadar I, et al. Primary glomus tumour of the pituitary gland: diagnostic challenges of a rare and potentially aggressive neoplasm. Virchows Arch. 2020.
- Symplastic Glomus Tumor.
- Authors: Kabukçuoğlu F, Özkayalar H, Sakiz D, Kabukçuoğlu Y
- Issue date: 2015
- Spindle cell oncocytoma of the adenohypophysis - a clinicopathological and ultrastructural study of two cases.
- Authors: Matyja E, Maksymowicz M, Grajkowska W, Olszewski W, Zieliński G, Bonicki W
- Issue date: 2010
- Glomus Tumor of Sella Turcica With Synaptophysin Expression Mimicking Pituitary Adenoma.
- Authors: Tsang JCH, Ng CS, Fung CF, Chan JKC, Cheuk W
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Malignant glomus tumour of larynx: first case report and literature review.
- Authors: Aslam N, Qazi ZU, Ahmad AH, Khan RU
- Issue date: 2012 Jul
- [Clinicopathologic features of glomus tumor of the kidney].
- Authors: Zhao M, Wang AX, Zhu X, Yu JJ, Wang W, Zhang DH, He XL, He HY, Teng XD
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 8