Fractures are common within 18 months following first-line R-CHOP in older patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma
Kirkwood, A. A.
Higham, Claire E
Oladipo, J. M.
Linton, Kim M
Collins, G. P.
Eyre, T. A.
AffiliationDepartment of Haematology, Oxford University Hospitals, Oxford, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDiffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL) and osteoporotic fracture are both more common in older patients. Exposure to R-CHOP (rituximab, cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisolone) is likely to increase the risk of fracture, but evidence is lacking to define fracture incidence in this group. Data on consecutive patients with DLBCL aged ≥70 years treated with 1 to 8 cycles of full or attenuated R-CHOP were retrospectively collected across 10 UK centers (2009-2019). Patients were followed up from starting R-CHOP for a minimum of 6 months and censored at 18 months; at last follow-up if <18 months; or at progression or death. Of 877 patients identified, 148 were excluded: 121 had progression or died before 6 months; 23 had follow-up <6 months. Across 729 remaining patients, the median age was 77 years, and 68% had an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group performance status of 0 to 1. Eighty-one fractures occurred within 18 months of follow-up; 42 were symptomatic, including 30 requiring hospital attendance or admission. The cumulative fracture incidence was 6.2% (95% confidence interval [CI], 4.7-8.2) at 6 months; 9.7% (95% CI, 7.8-12.1) at 12 months; and 11.4% (95% CI, 9.3-14.0) at 18 months. Multivariate analysis identified a predisposing history (osteoporosis, osteopenia, prior fracture, and rheumatoid arthritis [RhA]), DLBCL bone involvement at baseline, and receipt of prephase steroids as independent risk factors for fracture. There is a clinically relevant fracture risk and significant associated morbidity in older patients receiving R-CHOP. Careful attention to bone health is warranted in older patients receiving R-CHOP. Randomized studies are required to better define the most effective strategies to reduce fracture risk.
CitationBooth S, Plaschkes H, Kirkwood AA, Gibb A, Horgan P, Higham C, et al. Fractures are common within 18 months following first-line R-CHOP in older patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Blood Adv. 2020;4(18):4337-46.
- Cardiotoxicity with rituximab, cyclophosphamide, non-pegylated liposomal doxorubicin, vincristine and prednisolone compared to rituximab, cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisolone in frontline treatment of patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: A randomised phase-III study from the Austrian Cancer Drug Therapy Working Group [Arbeitsgemeinschaft Medikamentöse Tumortherapie AGMT](NHL-14).
- Authors: Fridrik MA, Jaeger U, Petzer A, Willenbacher W, Keil F, Lang A, Andel J, Burgstaller S, Krieger O, Oberaigner W, Sihorsch K, Greil R
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Gene-expression profiling of bortezomib added to standard chemoimmunotherapy for diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (REMoDL-B): an open-label, randomised, phase 3 trial.
- Authors: Davies A, Cummin TE, Barrans S, Maishman T, Mamot C, Novak U, Caddy J, Stanton L, Kazmi-Stokes S, McMillan A, Fields P, Pocock C, Collins GP, Stephens R, Cucco F, Clipson A, Sha C, Tooze R, Care MA, Griffiths G, Du MQ, Westhead DR, Burton C, Johnson PWM
- Issue date: 2019 May
- Rituximab-dose-dense chemotherapy with or without high-dose chemotherapy plus autologous stem-cell transplantation in high-risk diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLCL04): final results of a multicentre, open-label, randomised, controlled, phase 3 study.
- Authors: Chiappella A, Martelli M, Angelucci E, Brusamolino E, Evangelista A, Carella AM, Stelitano C, Rossi G, Balzarotti M, Merli F, Gaidano G, Pavone V, Rigacci L, Zaja F, D'Arco A, Cascavilla N, Russo E, Castellino A, Gotti M, Congiu AG, Cabras MG, Tucci A, Agostinelli C, Ciccone G, Pileri SA, Vitolo U
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Randomized Phase III Trial of Ibrutinib and Rituximab Plus Cyclophosphamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, and Prednisone in Non-Germinal Center B-Cell Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.
- Authors: Younes A, Sehn LH, Johnson P, Zinzani PL, Hong X, Zhu J, Patti C, Belada D, Samoilova O, Suh C, Leppä S, Rai S, Turgut M, Jurczak W, Cheung MC, Gurion R, Yeh SP, Lopez-Hernandez A, Dührsen U, Thieblemont C, Chiattone CS, Balasubramanian S, Carey J, Liu G, Shreeve SM, Sun S, Zhuang SH, Vermeulen J, Staudt LM, Wilson W, PHOENIX investigators.
- Issue date: 2019 May 20
- Rituximab-CHOP With Early Rituximab Intensification for Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma: A Randomized Phase III Trial of the HOVON and the Nordic Lymphoma Group (HOVON-84).
- Authors: Lugtenburg PJ, de Nully Brown P, van der Holt B, D'Amore FA, Koene HR, de Jongh E, Fijnheer R, van Esser JW, Böhmer LH, Pruijt JF, Verhoef GE, Hoogendoorn M, Bilgin MY, Nijland M, van der Burg-de Graauw NC, Oosterveld M, Jie KG, Larsen TS, van der Poel MW, Leijs MB, Silbermann MH, van Marwijk Kooy M, Beeker A, Kersten MJ, Doorduijn JK, Tick LW, Brouwer RE, Lam KH, Burggraaff CN, de Keizer B, Arens AI, de Jong D, Hoekstra OS, Zijlstra-Baalbergen JM
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 10