Timing of high-dose methotrexate CNS prophylaxis in DLBCL: an analysis of toxicity and impact on R-CHOP delivery
AuthorsWilson, M. R.
Eyre, T. A.
Parsons, K. E.
Mula Kh, A.
Cheung, C. K.
Timmins, M. A.
Linton, Kim M
Fox, C. P.
AffiliationBeatson West of Scotland Cancer Centre, Glasgow, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHigh-dose methotrexate (HD-MTX) is increasingly used as prophylaxis for patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL) at high risk of central nervous system (CNS) relapse. However, there is limited evidence to guide whether to intercalate HD-MTX (i-HD-MTX) between R-CHOP-21 (rituximab, cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisolone given at 21-day intervals) or to give it at the end of treatment (EOT) with R-CHOP-21. We conducted a retrospective, multicenter analysis of 334 patients with DLBCL who received CNS prophylaxis with i-HD-MTX (n = 204) or EOT HD-MTX (n = 130). Primary end points were R-CHOP delay rates and HD-MTX toxicity. Secondary end points were CNS relapse rate, progression-free survival, and overall survival. The EOT group had more patients with a high CNS international prognostic index (58% vs 39%; P < .001) and more concurrent intrathecal prophylaxis (56% vs 34%; P < .001). Of the 409 cycles of i-HD-MTX given, 82 (20%) were associated with a delay of next R-CHOP (median, 7 days). Delays were significantly increased when i-HD-MTX was given after day 9 post-R-CHOP (26% vs 16%; P = .01). On multivariable analysis, i-HD-MTX was independently associated with increased R-CHOP delays. Increased mucositis, febrile neutropenia, and longer median inpatient stay were recorded with i-HD-MTX delivery. Three-year cumulative CNS relapse incidence was 5.9%, with no differences between groups. There was no difference in survival between groups. We report increased toxicity and R-CHOP delay with i-HD-MTX compared with EOT delivery but no difference in CNS relapse or survival. Decisions on HD-MTX timing should be individualized and, where i-HD-MTX is favored, we recommend scheduling before day 10 of R-CHOP cycles.
CitationWilson MR, Eyre TA, Martinez-Calle N, Ahearne M, Parsons KE, Preston G, et al. Timing of high-dose methotrexate CNS prophylaxis in DLBCL: an analysis of toxicity and impact on R-CHOP delivery. Blood Advances. 2020;4(15):3586-93.
- Efficacy and safety of prophylactic high-dose MTX in high-risk DLBCL: a treatment intent-based analysis.
- Authors: Jeong H, Cho H, Kim H, Chae H, Lee JB, Lee K, Kim S, Lee SW, Ryu JS, Kim KW, Chae EJ, Huh J, Park CS, Yoon DH, Suh C
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 27
- New risk factors and new tendency for central nervous system relapse in patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: a retrospective study.
- Authors: Cai QQ, Hu LY, Geng QR, Chen J, Lu ZH, Rao HL, Liu Q, Jiang WQ, Huang HQ, Lin TY, Xia ZJ
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 13
- Central nervous system relapse of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma in the rituximab era: results of the UK NCRI R-CHOP-14 versus 21 trial.
- Authors: Gleeson M, Counsell N, Cunningham D, Chadwick N, Lawrie A, Hawkes EA, McMillan A, Ardeshna KM, Jack A, Smith P, Mouncey P, Pocock C, Radford JA, Davies J, Turner D, Kruger A, Johnson P, Gambell J, Linch D
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 1
- Impact of central nervous system (CNS) prophylaxis on the incidence and risk factors for CNS relapse in patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma treated in the rituximab era: a single centre experience and review of the literature.
- Authors: Guirguis HR, Cheung MC, Mahrous M, Piliotis E, Berinstein N, Imrie KR, Zhang L, Buckstein R
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Intrathecal methotrexate prophylaxis and central nervous system relapse in patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma following rituximab plus cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine and prednisone.
- Authors: Tomita N, Takasaki H, Ishiyama Y, Kishimoto K, Ishibashi D, Koyama S, Ishii Y, Takahashi H, Numata A, Watanabe R, Tachibana T, Ohshima R, Hagihara M, Hashimoto C, Takemura S, Taguchi J, Fujimaki K, Sakai R, Motomura S, Ishigatsubo Y
- Issue date: 2015 Mar