Glioma consensus contouring recommendations from a MR-Linac International Consortium Research Group and evaluation of a CT-MRI and MRI-only workflow
AuthorsTseng, C. L.
Whitfield, Gillian A
Verhoeff, J. J. C.
Atenafu, E. G.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiation Oncology, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, ON, M4N 3M5, Canada
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntroduction: This study proposes contouring recommendations for radiation treatment planning target volumes and organs-at-risk (OARs) for both low grade and high grade gliomas. Methods: Ten cases consisting of 5 glioblastomas and 5 grade II or III gliomas, including their respective gross tumor volume (GTV), clinical target volume (CTV), and OARs were each contoured by 6 experienced neuro-radiation oncologists from 5 international institutions. Each case was first contoured using only MRI sequences (MRI-only), and then re-contoured with the addition of a fused planning CT (CT-MRI). The level of agreement among all contours was assessed using simultaneous truth and performance level estimation (STAPLE) with the kappa statistic and Dice similarity coefficient. Results: A high level of agreement was observed between the GTV and CTV contours in the MRI-only workflow with a mean kappa of 0.88 and 0.89, respectively, with no statistically significant differences compared to the CT-MRI workflow (p = 0.88 and p = 0.82 for GTV and CTV, respectively). Agreement in cochlea contours improved from a mean kappa of 0.39 to 0.41, to 0.69 to 0.71 with the addition of CT information (p < 0.0001 for both cochleae). Substantial to near perfect level of agreement was observed in all other contoured OARs with a mean kappa range of 0.60 to 0.90 in both MRI-only and CT-MRI workflows. Conclusions: Consensus contouring recommendations for low grade and high grade gliomas were established using the results from the consensus STAPLE contours, which will serve as a basis for further study and clinical trials by the MR-Linac Consortium. Keywords: Consensus contouring recommendations; Glioma; MR-linac; Organs-at-risk; Radiotherapy.
CitationTseng C-L, Stewart J, Whitfield G, Verhoeff JJC, Bovi J, Soliman H, et al. Glioma consensus contouring recommendations from a MR-Linac International Consortium Research Group and evaluation of a CT-MRI and MRI-only workflow. Journal of Neuro-Oncology. 2020.
JournalJournal of Neuro-oncology
- Retroperitoneal Sarcoma Target Volume and Organ at Risk Contour Delineation Agreement Among NRG Sarcoma Radiation Oncologists.
- Authors: Baldini EH, Abrams RA, Bosch W, Roberge D, Haas RLM, Catton CN, Indelicato DJ, Olsen JR, Deville C, Chen YL, Finkelstein SE, DeLaney TF, Wang D
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 1
- International consensus recommendations for target volume delineation specific to sacral metastases and spinal stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT).
- Authors: Dunne EM, Sahgal A, Lo SS, Bergman A, Kosztyla R, Dea N, Chang EL, Chang UK, Chao ST, Faruqi S, Ghia AJ, Redmond KJ, Soltys SG, Liu MC
- Issue date: 2020 Apr
- NRG brain tumor specialists consensus guidelines for glioblastoma contouring.
- Authors: Kruser TJ, Bosch WR, Badiyan SN, Bovi JA, Ghia AJ, Kim MM, Solanki AA, Sachdev S, Tsien C, Wang TJC, Mehta MP, McMullen KP
- Issue date: 2019 May
- High-grade glioma radiation therapy target volumes and patterns of failure obtained from magnetic resonance imaging and 18F-FDOPA positron emission tomography delineations from multiple observers.
- Authors: Kosztyla R, Chan EK, Hsu F, Wilson D, Ma R, Cheung A, Zhang S, Moiseenko V, Benard F, Nichol A
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 1
- Comparison and consensus guidelines for delineation of clinical target volume for CT- and MR-based brachytherapy in locally advanced cervical cancer.
- Authors: Viswanathan AN, Erickson B, Gaffney DK, Beriwal S, Bhatia SK, Lee Burnett O 3rd, D'Souza DP, Patil N, Haddock MG, Jhingran A, Jones EL, Kunos CA, Lee LJ, Lin LL, Mayr NA, Petersen I, Petric P, Portelance L, Small W Jr, Strauss JB, Townamchai K, Wolfson AH, Yashar CM, Bosch W
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 1