The rare YAP1 subtype of SCLC revisited in a biobank of 39 circulating tumor cell patient derived explant models: a brief report
AuthorsPearsall, Sarah M
Frese, Kristopher K
Blackhall, Fiona H
Simpson, Kathryn L
AffiliationCancer Research UK Manchester Institute Cancer Biomarker Centre, University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom; Cancer Research UK Lung Cancer Centre of Excellence, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntroduction: Recent consensus defines four SCLC subtypes on the basis of transcription factor expression: ASCL1, NEUROD1, POU2F3, and YAP1. The rare YAP1 subtype is associated with "neuroendocrine (NE)-low" cells among SCLC cell lines and patient samples. We evaluated YAP1 in 39 patients with phenotypically diverse circulating tumor cell-derived explant (CDX) models and revisited YAP1 in terms of prevalence, cell phenotype, and intertumor and intratumor heterogeneity. Methods: YAP1 transcript and protein expression were assessed by RNA sequencing and immunohistochemistry or multiplexed immunofluorescence of NE and non-NE CDX subpopulations. Physically separated NE and non-NE CDX ex vivo culture lysates were Western blotted for YAP1, NE marker SYP, and AXL. Results: RNA sequencing normalized for the four subtype transcription factors identified YAP1 expression in 14 of 39 CDX. A total of 10 CDX expressed YAP1 protein, and eight had strong YAP1 expression confined to rare non-NE cell clusters. This was confirmed in ex vivo CDX cultures in which adherent non-NE cells lacking SYP expression expressed YAP1. However, in two CDX, weaker cellular YAP1 expression was observed, widely dispersed in SYP-positive NE cells. Conclusions: YAP1 was predominantly expressed in non-NE cell clusters in SCLC CDX, but two of 39 CDX expressed YAP1 in NE cells. CDX22P, with relatively high YAP1 expression, is an ASCL1 NE subtype with a low NE score and an outlier within this subtype in our CDX biobank. These descriptive data reveal subtly different YAP1 expression profiles, paving the way for functional studies to compare YAP1 signaling in non-NE and low NE cell contexts for potentially personalized therapeutic approaches. Keywords: Intratumoral heterogeneity; Neuroendocrine; Nonneuroendocrine; Small cell lung cancer (SCLC); YAP1.
CitationPearsall SM, Humphrey S, Revill M, Morgan D, Frese KK, Galvin M, et al. The Rare YAP1 Subtype of SCLC Revisited in a Biobank of 39 Circulating Tumor Cell Patient Derived Explant Models: A Brief Report. J Thorac Oncol. 2020.
JournalJournal of Thoracic Oncology
- SCLC Subtypes Defined by ASCL1, NEUROD1, POU2F3, and YAP1: A Comprehensive Immunohistochemical and Histopathologic Characterization.
- Authors: Baine MK, Hsieh MS, Lai WV, Egger JV, Jungbluth AA, Daneshbod Y, Beras A, Spencer R, Lopardo J, Bodd F, Montecalvo J, Sauter JL, Chang JC, Buonocore DJ, Travis WD, Sen T, Poirier JT, Rudin CM, Rekhtman N
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- A biobank of small cell lung cancer CDX models elucidates inter- and intratumoral phenotypic heterogeneity.
- Authors: Simpson KL, Stoney R, Frese KK, Simms N, Rowe W, Pearce SP, Humphrey S, Booth L, Morgan D, Dynowski M, Trapani F, Catozzi A, Revill M, Helps T, Galvin M, Girard L, Nonaka D, Carter L, Krebs MG, Cook N, Carter M, Priest L, Kerr A, Gazdar AF, Blackhall F, Dive C
- Issue date: 2020 Apr
- Expression patterns and prognostic relevance of subtype-specific transcription factors in surgically resected small-cell lung cancer: an international multicenter study.
- Authors: Megyesfalvi Z, Barany N, Lantos A, Valko Z, Pipek O, Lang C, Schwendenwein A, Oberndorfer F, Paku S, Ferencz B, Dezso K, Fillinger J, Lohinai Z, Moldvay J, Galffy G, Szeitz B, Rezeli M, Rivard C, Hirsch FR, Brcic L, Popper H, Kern I, Kovacevic M, Skarda J, Mittak M, Marko-Varga G, Bogos K, Renyi-Vamos F, Hoda MA, Klikovits T, Hoetzenecker K, Schelch K, Laszlo V, Dome B
- Issue date: 2022 Aug
- Molecular Subtypes of Primary SCLC Tumors and Their Associations With Neuroendocrine and Therapeutic Markers.
- Authors: Qu S, Fetsch P, Thomas A, Pommier Y, Schrump DS, Miettinen MM, Chen H
- Issue date: 2022 Jan
- High mRNA expression of POU2F3 in small cell lung cancer cell lines predicts the effect of lurbinectedin.
- Authors: Matsui S, Haruki T, Oshima Y, Kidokoro Y, Sakabe T, Umekita Y, Nakamura H
- Issue date: 2022 Apr