Alternative enhancer usage and targeted polycomb marking hallmark promoter choice during t cell differentiation
AuthorsMaqbool, M. A.
El Aabidine, A. Z.
Molitor, A. M.
Dao, L. T. M.
van Laethem, F.
Andrau, J. C.
AffiliationInstitut de G�n�tique Mol�culaire de Montpellier, Universit� de Montpellier, CNRS, 1919 Route de Mende, Montpellier 34293, France.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDuring thymic development and upon peripheral activation, T cells undergo extensive phenotypic and functional changes coordinated by lineage-specific developmental programs. To characterize the regulatory landscape controlling T cell identity, we perform a wide epigenomic and transcriptional analysis of mouse thymocytes and naive CD4 differentiated T helper cells. Our investigations reveal a dynamic putative enhancer landscape, and we could validate many of the enhancers using the high-throughput CapStarr sequencing (CapStarr-seq) approach. We find that genes using multiple promoters display increased enhancer usage, suggesting that apparent "enhancer redundancy" might relate to isoform selection. Furthermore, we can show that two Runx3 promoters display long-range interactions with specific enhancers. Finally, our analyses suggest a novel function for the PRC2 complex in the control of alternative promoter usage. Altogether, our study has allowed for the mapping of an exhaustive set of active enhancers and provides new insights into their function and that of PRC2 in controlling promoter choice during T cell differentiation. Keywords: CapSTARR-seq; T cell enhancerome; enhancer and promoter usage; enhancer redundancy; long-distance enhancer-promoter interactions.
CitationMaqbool MA, Pioger L, El Aabidine AZ, Karasu N, Molitor AM, Dao LTM, et al. Alternative Enhancer Usage and Targeted Polycomb Marking Hallmark Promoter Choice during T Cell Differentiation. Cell Reports. 2020;32(7):108048.
- High-throughput and quantitative assessment of enhancer activity in mammals by CapStarr-seq.
- Authors: Vanhille L, Griffon A, Maqbool MA, Zacarias-Cabeza J, Dao LT, Fernandez N, Ballester B, Andrau JC, Spicuglia S
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 15
- CD8<sup>+</sup> T Cells Utilize Highly Dynamic Enhancer Repertoires and Regulatory Circuitry in Response to Infections.
- Authors: He B, Xing S, Chen C, Gao P, Teng L, Shan Q, Gullicksrud JA, Martin MD, Yu S, Harty JT, Badovinac VP, Tan K, Xue HH
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 20
- A distal intergenic region controls pancreatic endocrine differentiation by acting as a transcriptional enhancer and as a polycomb response element.
- Authors: van Arensbergen J, Dussaud S, Pardanaud-Glavieux C, García-Hurtado J, Sauty C, Guerci A, Ferrer J, Ravassard P
- Issue date: 2017
- Three-dimensional genome architectural CCCTC-binding factor makes choice in duplicated enhancers at Pcdhα locus.
- Authors: Wu Y, Jia Z, Ge X, Wu Q
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Functional characterisation of <i>cis</i>-regulatory elements governing dynamic <i>Eomes</i> expression in the early mouse embryo.
- Authors: Simon CS, Downes DJ, Gosden ME, Telenius J, Higgs DR, Hughes JR, Costello I, Bikoff EK, Robertson EJ
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 1