Surgical and radiotherapeutic management of malignant extradural spinal cord compression
AffiliationSunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Canada.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMalignant spinal cord compression is one of the most dreaded complications of advanced malignancy, with patients presenting with progressive paralysis, paresthesia and/or autonomic dysfunction. The choice of management should be guided by the expected prognosis and outcome, not just from a neurological function point-of-view but also from the metastatic cancer itself. The main indications for surgery are: impending cord compression, spinal instability from tumour progression, bony retropulsion, for tissue diagnosis and for pain resistant to conventional therapies. Here, surgical principles, traditional and novel techniques and complications will be reviewed. For radiotherapy, multiple randomised studies have shown that for most patients a single fraction of external radiation has the same functional outcomes compared with multi-fractionation protocols. The experience of a specialised centralised interdisciplinary team will also be discussed. Keywords: Quality of life; radiation; spinal cord compression; surgery; toxicity.
CitationLoblaw A, George KJ, Misra V. Surgical and Radiotherapeutic Management of Malignant Extradural Spinal Cord Compression. Clinical Oncology. 2020.
- Management of metastatic spinal cord compression.
- Authors: Maranzano E, Trippa F, Chirico L, Basagni ML, Rossi R
- Issue date: 2003 Sep-Oct
- Metastatic Spinal Cord Compression: Unraveling the Diagnostic and Therapeutic Challenges.
- Authors: Boussios S, Cooke D, Hayward C, Kanellos FS, Tsiouris AK, Chatziantoniou AA, Zakynthinakis-Kyriakou N, Karathanasi A
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Approaches to radiotherapy in metastatic spinal cord compression.
- Authors: Suppl MH
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- The neurological outcome of radiotherapy versus surgery in patients with metastatic spinal cord compression presenting with myelopathy.
- Authors: Iida K, Matsumoto Y, Setsu N, Harimaya K, Kawaguchi K, Hayashida M, Okada S, Nakashima Y
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- The optimal dose fractionation schema for malignant extradural spinal cord compression.
- Authors: Loblaw DA, Mitera G
- Issue date: 2011 Jul-Aug