McNamara, Mairead G
Hubner, Richard A
Valle, Juan W
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom; Division Cancer Sciences, University of Manchester; Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFibrolamellar carcinoma (FLC) is a rare and poorly understood malignancy, which seems to be more prevalent in young patients compared with conventional hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). Performing prospective clinical trials recruiting patients diagnosed with FLC has proven challenging with scarce data available guiding clinical management. The use of a number of chemotherapy compounds in these patients, including cisplatin, epirubicin, 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) and recombinant interferon ?-2B (IFN-?-2B), has been reported in the literature, mainly in the form of case reports. The most promising systemic therapy tested so far is the combination of 5-FU infusion and 3-weekly IFN-?-2B, based on results from a phase II clinical trial. This article provides an overview of our own experience with this treatment schedule for patients with FLC, confirming its activity and treatment-derived benefit in the real world. Current challenges being faced by healthcare professionals treating patients with advanced FLC are discussed, especially the increasingly limited access to IFN-?-2B, which could compromise the access to an active therapy in the coming future, and the difficulties in the development of new treatment options for advanced FLC. Keywords: 5-FU; 5-fluorouracil treatment; Advanced; Chemotherapy; FLC; Fibrolamellar carcinoma; IFN; Interferon; Systemic therapy.
CitationLamarca A, Frizziero M, Fulton A, McNamara MG, Filobbos R, Hubner RA, et al. Fibrolamellar carcinoma: Challenging the challenge. European Journal of Cancer. 2020;137:144-7.
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Combination therapy of intra-arterial 5-fluorouracil and systemic pegylated interferon α-2b for advanced hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Authors: Kasai K, Ushio A, Kasai Y, Sawara K, Miyamoto Y, Oikawa K, Kuroda H, Takikawa Y, Suzuki K
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Hepatic arterial infusion chemotherapy in combination with pegylated interferon-α-2b for advanced hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Authors: Okita K, Yamasaki T, Hamabe S, Saeki I, Harima Y, Terai S, Sakaida I
- Issue date: 2012 Mar-Apr
- Clinical pilot study of intrahepatic arterial chemotherapy with methotrexate, 5-fluorouracil, cisplatin and subcutaneous interferon-alpha-2b for patients with locally advanced hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Authors: Urabe T, Kaneko S, Matsushita E, Unoura M, Kobayashi K
- Issue date: 1998 Jan-Feb
- Phase II trial of systemic continuous fluorouracil and subcutaneous recombinant interferon Alfa-2b for treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Authors: Patt YZ, Hassan MM, Lozano RD, Brown TD, Vauthey JN, Curley SA, Ellis LM
- Issue date: 2003 Feb 1
- Similar effects of recombinant interferon-alpha-2b and natural interferon-alpha when combined with intra-arterial 5-fluorouracil for the treatment of advanced hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Authors: Uka K, Aikata H, Takaki S, Miki D, Jeong SC, Hiramatsu A, Kodama H, Shirakawa H, Kawakami Y, Takahashi S, Toyota N, Ito K, Chayama K
- Issue date: 2007 Nov