Ho, J. H.
Le Roux, C. W.
Syed, A. A.
AffiliationCardiovascular Trials Unit, Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObesity is an emerging independent risk factor for susceptibility to and severity of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) caused by the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2). Previous viral pandemics have shown that obesity, particularly severe obesity (BMI > 40 kg/m2 ), is associated with increased risk of hospitalization, critical care admission and fatalities. In this narrative review, we examine emerging evidence of the influence of obesity on COVID-19, the challenges to clinical management from pulmonary, endocrine and immune dysfunctions in individuals with obesity and identify potential areas for further research. We recommend that people with severe obesity be deemed a vulnerable group for COVID-19; clinical trials of pharmacotherapeutics, immunotherapies and vaccination should prioritize inclusion of people with obesity.
CitationKwok S, Adam S, Ho JH, Iqbal Z, Turkington P, Razvi S, et al. Obesity: A critical risk factor in the COVID-19 pandemic. Clin Obes. 2020:e12403.
- Human Leukocyte Antigen Susceptibility Map for Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2.
- Authors: Nguyen A, David JK, Maden SK, Wood MA, Weeder BR, Nellore A, Thompson RF
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 16
- Antibody tests for identification of current and past infection with SARS-CoV-2.
- Authors: Deeks JJ, Dinnes J, Takwoingi Y, Davenport C, Spijker R, Taylor-Phillips S, Adriano A, Beese S, Dretzke J, Ferrante di Ruffano L, Harris IM, Price MJ, Dittrich S, Emperador D, Hooft L, Leeflang MM, Van den Bruel A, Cochrane COVID-19 Diagnostic Test Accuracy Group.
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 25
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic and pregnancy.
- Authors: Dashraath P, Wong JLJ, Lim MXK, Lim LM, Li S, Biswas A, Choolani M, Mattar C, Su LL
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Characteristics and Outcomes of 241 Births to Women With Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) Infection at Five New York City Medical Centers.
- Authors: Khoury R, Bernstein PS, Debolt C, Stone J, Sutton DM, Simpson LL, Limaye MA, Roman AS, Fazzari M, Penfield CA, Ferrara L, Lambert C, Nathan L, Wright R, Bianco A, Wagner B, Goffman D, Gyamfi-Bannerman C, Schweizer WE, Avila K, Khaksari B, Proehl M, Heitor F, Monro J, Keefe DL, DʼAlton ME, Brodman M, Makhija SK, Dolan SM
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Psychiatric and neuropsychiatric presentations associated with severe coronavirus infections: a systematic review and meta-analysis with comparison to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Authors: Rogers JP, Chesney E, Oliver D, Pollak TA, McGuire P, Fusar-Poli P, Zandi MS, Lewis G, David AS
- Issue date: 2020 Jul