Ho, J. H.
Le Roux, C. W.
Syed, A. A.
AffiliationCardiovascular Trials Unit, Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObesity is an emerging independent risk factor for susceptibility to and severity of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) caused by the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2). Previous viral pandemics have shown that obesity, particularly severe obesity (BMI > 40 kg/m2 ), is associated with increased risk of hospitalization, critical care admission and fatalities. In this narrative review, we examine emerging evidence of the influence of obesity on COVID-19, the challenges to clinical management from pulmonary, endocrine and immune dysfunctions in individuals with obesity and identify potential areas for further research. We recommend that people with severe obesity be deemed a vulnerable group for COVID-19; clinical trials of pharmacotherapeutics, immunotherapies and vaccination should prioritize inclusion of people with obesity.
CitationKwok S, Adam S, Ho JH, Iqbal Z, Turkington P, Razvi S, et al. Obesity: A critical risk factor in the COVID-19 pandemic. Clin Obes. 2020:e12403.
- [The endocrine and metabolic link between COVID-19, diabetes and obesity].
- Authors: Weis N, Thorsteinsson K, Martinussen C, Madsbad S
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 13
- Obesity and Higher Risk for Severe Complications of Covid-19: What to do when the two pandemics meet.
- Authors: Valerio A, Nisoli E, Rossi AP, Pellegrini M, Todesco T, El Ghoch M
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 29
- Should patients with obesity be more afraid of COVID-19?
- Authors: Rychter AM, Zawada A, Ratajczak AE, Dobrowolska A, Krela-Kaźmierczak I
- Issue date: 2020 Sep
- Characteristics and Outcomes of 241 Births to Women With Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) Infection at Five New York City Medical Centers.
- Authors: Khoury R, Bernstein PS, Debolt C, Stone J, Sutton DM, Simpson LL, Limaye MA, Roman AS, Fazzari M, Penfield CA, Ferrara L, Lambert C, Nathan L, Wright R, Bianco A, Wagner B, Goffman D, Gyamfi-Bannerman C, Schweizer WE, Avila K, Khaksari B, Proehl M, Heitor F, Monro J, Keefe DL, D'Alton ME, Brodman M, Makhija SK, Dolan SM
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- High Prevalence of Obesity in Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2) Requiring Invasive Mechanical Ventilation.
- Authors: Simonnet A, Chetboun M, Poissy J, Raverdy V, Noulette J, Duhamel A, Labreuche J, Mathieu D, Pattou F, Jourdain M, LICORN and the Lille COVID-19 and Obesity study group.
- Issue date: 2020 Jul