Evaluation of drugs for potential repurposing against COVID-19 using a tier-based scoring system
AuthorsJarvis, M. A.
Hansen, F. A.
AffiliationUniversity of Plymouth, Plymouth, Devon, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: As the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic grows daily, we remain with no prophylactic and only minimal therapeutic interventions to prevent or ameliorate severe acute respiratory syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). Prior to SARS-CoV-2 emergence, high throughput screens utilizing clinically developed drugs identified compounds with in vitro inhibitory effect on human coronaviruses that may have potential for repurposing as treatment options for COVID-19. However, caution should be applied to repurposing of these drugs when they are taken out of context of human pharmacokinetic parameters associated with normal therapeutic use. Methods: Our aim was to provide a tier-based scoring system to interrogate this data set and match each drug with its human pharmacokinetic criteria, such as route of administration, therapeutic plasma levels and half-life, tissue distribution, and safety. Results: Our analysis excluded most previously identified drugs but identified members of 4 drug classes (antimalarial amino-quinolones, selective estrogen receptor modulators; SERMs, low potency tricyclic antipsychotics and tricyclic antidepressants) as potential drug candidates for COVID-19. Two of them, the tricyclic antipsychotics and tricyclic antidepressants were further excluded based on a high adverse event profile. Conclusions: In summary, our findings using a new pharmacokinetic-based scoring system supports efficacy testing of only a minority of candidates against SARS-CoV-2 infection.
CitationJarvis MA, Hansen FA, Rosenke K, Haddock E, Rollinson C, Rule S, et al. Evaluation of drugs for potential repurposing against COVID-19 using a tier-based scoring system. Antivir Ther. 2020.
- Identification of Potent and Safe Antiviral Therapeutic Candidates Against SARS-CoV-2.
- Authors: Xiao X, Wang C, Chang, Wang Y, Dong X, Jiao T, Zhao Z, Ren L, Dela Cruz CS, Sharma L, Lei X, Wang J
- Issue date: 2020
- Identifying and repurposing antiviral drugs against severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 with in silico and in vitro approaches.
- Authors: Watashi K
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 29
- [Repurposing of chlorpromazine in COVID-19 treatment: the reCoVery study].
- Authors: Plaze M, Attali D, Petit AC, Blatzer M, Simon-Loriere E, Vinckier F, Cachia A, Chrétien F, Gaillard R
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Comparative transcriptome analysis of SARS-CoV, MERS-CoV, and SARS-CoV-2 to identify potential pathways for drug repurposing.
- Authors: Krishnamoorthy P, Raj AS, Roy S, Kumar NS, Kumar H
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- Current status of antivirals and druggable targets of SARS CoV-2 and other human pathogenic coronaviruses.
- Authors: Artese A, Svicher V, Costa G, Salpini R, Di Maio VC, Alkhatib M, Ambrosio FA, Santoro MM, Assaraf YG, Alcaro S, Ceccherini-Silberstein F
- Issue date: 2020 Dec