AffiliationThe University of Manchester, Radiotherapy Related Research, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractImage Based Data Mining (IBDM) is a novel analysis technique allowing the interrogation of large amounts of routine radiotherapy data. Using this technique, unexpected correlations have been identified between dose close to the prostate and biochemical relapse, and between dose to the base of the heart and survival in lung cancer. However, most analyses to date have considered only dose when identifying a region of interest, with confounding variables accounted for post-hoc, most often using a multivariate Cox regression. In this work, we introduce a novel method to account for confounding variables directly in the analysis, by performing a Cox regression in every voxel of the dose distribution, and apply it in the analysis of a large cohort of lung cancer patients. Our method produces three-dimensional maps of hazard for clinical variables, accounting for dose at each spatial location in the patient. Results confirm that a region of interest exists in the base of the heart where those patients with poor performance status (PS), PS > 1, have a stronger adverse reaction to incidental dose, but that the effect changes when considering other clinical variables, with patient age becoming dominant. Analyses such as this will help shape future clinical trials in which hypotheses generated by the analysis will be tested.
CitationGreen A, Vasquez Osorio E, Aznar MC, McWilliam A, van Herk M. Image Based Data Mining Using Per-voxel Cox Regression. Frontiers in Oncology. 2020;10:1178.
JournalFrontiers in Oncology
- Image-based Data Mining to Probe Dosimetric Correlates of Radiation-induced Trismus.
- Authors: Beasley W, Thor M, McWilliam A, Green A, Mackay R, Slevin N, Olsson C, Pettersson N, Finizia C, Estilo C, Riaz N, Lee NY, Deasy JO, van Herk M
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 15
- Impact of heart and lung dose on early survival in patients with non-small cell lung cancer treated with chemoradiation.
- Authors: Tucker SL, Liu A, Gomez D, Tang LL, Allen P, Yang J, Liao Z, Grosshans D
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Refining adverse drug reaction signals by incorporating interaction variables identified using emergent pattern mining.
- Authors: Reps JM, Aickelin U, Hubbard RB
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 1
- Predicting the graft survival for heart-lung transplantation patients: an integrated data mining methodology.
- Authors: Oztekin A, Delen D, Kong ZJ
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Radiation dose to heart base linked with poorer survival in lung cancer patients.
- Authors: McWilliam A, Kennedy J, Hodgson C, Vasquez Osorio E, Faivre-Finn C, van Herk M
- Issue date: 2017 Nov