Cancer immunotherapy-related adverse events: causes and challenges
AuthorsBlidner, A. G.
Cooksley, Timothy J
Shannon, V. R.
Rapoport, B. L.
AffiliationLaboratory of Immunopathology, Institute of Biology and Experimental Medicine-CONICET, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDespite the success and ongoing promise of monoclonal antibody-targeted immune checkpoint inhibitor immunotherapy of advanced malignancies, in particular, antibodies directed against CTLA-4 and PD-1/PD-L1, the development of immune-related adverse events (irAEs) remains a constraint of this type of therapy. Although rarely fatal, the occurrence of irAEs may necessitate discontinuation of immunotherapy, as well as administration of corticosteroids or other immunosuppressive therapies that may not only compromise efficacy but also predispose for development of opportunistic infection. Clearly, retention of efficacy of immune checkpoint-targeted therapies with concurrent attenuation of immune-mediated toxicity represents a formidable challenge. In this context, the current brief review examines mechanistic relationships between these events, as well as recent insights into immunopathogenesis, and strategies which may contribute to resolving this issue. These sections are preceded by brief overviews of the discovery and functions of CTLA-4 and PD-1, as well as the chronology of the development of immunotherapeutic monoclonal antibodies which target these immune checkpoint inhibitors.
CitationBlidner AG, Choi J, Cooksley T, Dougan M, Glezerman I, Ginex P, et al. Cancer immunotherapy�related adverse events: causes and challenges. Supportive Care in Cancer. 2020.
JournalSupportive Care in Cancer
- Immunopathogenesis of Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor-Related Adverse Events: Roles of the Intestinal Microbiome and Th17 Cells.
- Authors: Anderson R, Theron AJ, Rapoport BL
- Issue date: 2019
- Characterization of liver injury induced by cancer immunotherapy using immune checkpoint inhibitors.
- Authors: De Martin E, Michot JM, Papouin B, Champiat S, Mateus C, Lambotte O, Roche B, Antonini TM, Coilly A, Laghouati S, Robert C, Marabelle A, Guettier C, Samuel D
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- New insight in endocrine-related adverse events associated to immune checkpoint blockade.
- Authors: Elia G, Ferrari SM, Galdiero MR, Ragusa F, Paparo SR, Ruffilli I, Varricchi G, Fallahi P, Antonelli A
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- [Toxicity of immune checkpoints inhibitors].
- Authors: Delaunay M, Caron P, Sibaud V, Godillot C, Collot S, Milia J, Prévot G, Mazières J
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- The determinants of very severe immune-related adverse events associated with immune checkpoint inhibitors: A prospective study of the French REISAMIC registry.
- Authors: Ruste V, Goldschmidt V, Laparra A, Messayke S, Danlos FX, Romano-Martin P, Champiat S, Voisin AL, Baldini C, Massard C, Laghouati S, Marabelle A, Lambotte O, Michot JM
- Issue date: 2021 Nov