Cooksley, Timothy J
Higham, Claire E
AffiliationThe Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe advent of new cancer therapies, alongside expected growth and ageing of the population, better survival rates and associated costs of care, is uncovering a need to more clearly define and integrate supportive care services across the whole spectrum of the disease. The current focus of cancer care is on initial diagnosis and treatment, and end of life care. The Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer defines supportive care as 'the prevention and management of the adverse effects of cancer and its treatment'. This encompasses the entire cancer journey, and necessitates involvement and integration of most clinical specialties. Optimal supportive care can assist in accurate diagnosis and management, and ultimately improve outcomes. A national strategy to implement supportive care is needed to acknowledge evolving oncology practice, changing disease patterns and the changing patient demographic.
CitationBerman R, Davies A, Cooksley T, Gralla R, Carter L, Darlington E, et al. Supportive Care: An Indispensable Component of Modern Oncology. Clinical Oncology. 2020.
- American Society of Clinical Oncology provisional clinical opinion: the integration of palliative care into standard oncology care.
- Authors: Smith TJ, Temin S, Alesi ER, Abernethy AP, Balboni TA, Basch EM, Ferrell BR, Loscalzo M, Meier DE, Paice JA, Peppercorn JM, Somerfield M, Stovall E, Von Roenn JH
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 10
- Evidence Brief: The Quality of Care Provided by Advanced Practice Nurses
- Authors: McCleery E, Christensen V, Peterson K, Humphrey L, Helfand M
- Issue date: 2011
- Palliative care experiences of adult cancer patients from ethnocultural groups: a qualitative systematic review protocol.
- Authors: Busolo D, Woodgate R
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Supportive care in cancer unit at the National Cancer Institute of Milan: a new integrated model of medicine in oncology.
- Authors: Ida RC, Adelaide PM, Stefania B
- Issue date: 2012 Jul
- Communication and integration: a qualitative analysis of perspectives among Middle Eastern oncology healthcare professionals on the integration of complementary medicine in supportive cancer care.
- Authors: Ben-Arye E, Popper-Giveon A, Samuels N, Mutafoglu K, Schiff E, Omran S, Charalambous H, Dweikat T, Ghrayeb I, Turker I, Hassan A, Hassan E, Nimri O, Kebudi R, Silbermann M
- Issue date: 2016 May