Cooksley, Timothy J
Higham, Claire E
AffiliationThe Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe advent of new cancer therapies, alongside expected growth and ageing of the population, better survival rates and associated costs of care, is uncovering a need to more clearly define and integrate supportive care services across the whole spectrum of the disease. The current focus of cancer care is on initial diagnosis and treatment, and end of life care. The Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer defines supportive care as 'the prevention and management of the adverse effects of cancer and its treatment'. This encompasses the entire cancer journey, and necessitates involvement and integration of most clinical specialties. Optimal supportive care can assist in accurate diagnosis and management, and ultimately improve outcomes. A national strategy to implement supportive care is needed to acknowledge evolving oncology practice, changing disease patterns and the changing patient demographic.
CitationBerman R, Davies A, Cooksley T, Gralla R, Carter L, Darlington E, et al. Supportive Care: An Indispensable Component of Modern Oncology. Clinical Oncology. 2020.
- Value-based Practice: Integration of Cancer Rehabilitation and Palliative Care in Oncology Services.
- Authors: Zhu Y
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 30
- American Society of Clinical Oncology provisional clinical opinion: the integration of palliative care into standard oncology care.
- Authors: Smith TJ, Temin S, Alesi ER, Abernethy AP, Balboni TA, Basch EM, Ferrell BR, Loscalzo M, Meier DE, Paice JA, Peppercorn JM, Somerfield M, Stovall E, Von Roenn JH
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 10
- [Supportive care in oncology: a real change for patients?]
- Authors: Friedlaender A, Blaser S, Luthy C, Pugliesi Rinaldi A
- Issue date: 2017 May 17
- Early palliative care and integration of palliative care models in modern oncology practices.
- Authors: Simone CB 2nd
- Issue date: 2015 Jul
- Integrating Palliative Care Into Oncology: A Way Forward.
- Authors: Ramchandran K, Tribett E, Dietrich B, Von Roenn J
- Issue date: 2015 Oct