Systemic therapy of common tumours in older patients: challenges and opportunities. a young international society of geriatric oncology review paper
AffiliationDepartment of Medicine, The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, Downs Road, Sutton, London, SM2 5PT, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPurpose of review: Decision-making for systemic treatments in older patients with cancer is difficult because of concerns for decreased organ function, risk of toxicity, limited life expectancy due to comorbidities and the lack of evidence available to guide its management in this population. Here, we review the data on the role of systemic agents for the treatment of common malignancies in this age group. Recent findings: Evidence on the use of systemic treatments for older patients with cancer is increasing, especially for newer options including immune checkpoint inhibitors and targeted agents that provide comparable benefit in older and younger patients. Nonetheless, the risks for short- and long-term toxicities need to be considered. More research is warranted and represents a unique opportunity to increase the knowledge on cancer treatment for older adults. Healthy, older individuals should be considered for standard systemic treatment options, whereas those at risk based on geriatric assessments require adjusted plans. Geriatric assessments are key for decision-making.
CitationBattisti NML, Liposits G, De Glas NA, Gomes F, Baldini C, Mohile S. Systemic Therapy of Common Tumours in Older Patients: Challenges and Opportunities. A Young International Society of Geriatric Oncology Review Paper. Current Oncology Reports. 2020;22(10):98.
JournalCurrent Oncology Reports
- Updated recommendations regarding the management of older patients with breast cancer: a joint paper from the European Society of Breast Cancer Specialists (EUSOMA) and the International Society of Geriatric Oncology (SIOG).
- Authors: Biganzoli L, Battisti NML, Wildiers H, McCartney A, Colloca G, Kunkler IH, Cardoso MJ, Cheung KL, de Glas NA, Trimboli RM, Korc-Grodzicki B, Soto-Perez-de-Celis E, Ponti A, Tsang J, Marotti L, Benn K, Aapro MS, Brain EGC
- Issue date: 2021 May 14
- Immunotherapy and targeted therapies in older patients with advanced melanoma; Young International Society of Geriatric Oncology review paper.
- Authors: Bastiaannet E, Battisti N, Loh KP, de Glas N, Soto-Perez-de-Celis E, Baldini C, Kapiteijn E, Lichtman S
- Issue date: 2019 May
- Use of cyclin-dependent kinase 4/6 (CDK4/6) inhibitors in older patients with ER-positive HER2-negative breast cancer: Young International Society of Geriatric Oncology review paper.
- Authors: Battisti NML, De Glas N, Sedrak MS, Loh KP, Liposits G, Soto-Perez-de-Celis E, Krok-Schoen JL, Menjak IB, Ring A
- Issue date: 2018
- Early breast cancer in the elderly: assessment and management considerations.
- Authors: Albrand G, Terret C
- Issue date: 2008
- Transplant-ineligible newly diagnosed multiple myeloma: Current and future approaches to clinical care: A Young International Society of Geriatric Oncology Review Paper.
- Authors: Grant SJ, Mian HS, Giri S, Boutin M, Dottorini L, Neuendorff NR, Krok-Schoen JL, Nikita N, Rosko AE, Wildes TM, Zweegman S
- Issue date: 2021 May