Blood-based RAS mutation testing: concordance with tissue-based RAS testing and mutational changes on progression
Adams, R. A.
Braun, Michael S
Edelstein, D. L.
Jones, F. S.
Saunders, Mark P
AffiliationDepartment of Medical & Clinical Oncology, The Christie Hospital, 550 Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAim: To determine the concordance between plasma and tissue RAS mutation status in metastatic colorectal cancer patients to gauge whether blood-based testing is a viable alternative. We also evaluated the change in mutation status on progression. Materials/methods: RAS testing was performed on plasma from patients commencing first-line therapy (OncoBEAM™ RAS CEIVD kit). Results were then compared with formalin-fixed paraffin embedded tumor samples. Results: The overall percentage agreement (concordance) was 86.0% (86/100), which demonstrates that blood-based testing is an alternative to tissue-based testing. Reproducibility was 100% between three laboratories and 20% showed changes in their RAS mutational status on progression. Conclusion: These results show good concordance between tissue and plasma samples and suggest the need for longitudinal plasma testing during treatment to guide management decisions. Keywords: BEAMing; RAS; circulating-free DNA; colon cancer; ctDNA; mCRC.
CitationGermetaki T, Nicholls C, Adams RA, Braun M, Rogan J, Moghadam S, et al. Blood-based RAS mutation testing: concordance with tissue-based RAS testing and mutational changes on progression. Future Oncol. 2020.
- Plasma ctDNA RAS mutation analysis for the diagnosis and treatment monitoring of metastatic colorectal cancer patients.
- Authors: Vidal J, Muinelo L, Dalmases A, Jones F, Edelstein D, Iglesias M, Orrillo M, Abalo A, Rodríguez C, Brozos E, Vidal Y, Candamio S, Vázquez F, Ruiz J, Guix M, Visa L, Sikri V, Albanell J, Bellosillo B, López R, Montagut C
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 1
- Blood-based detection of RAS mutations to guide anti-EGFR therapy in colorectal cancer patients: concordance of results from circulating tumor DNA and tissue-based RAS testing.
- Authors: Schmiegel W, Scott RJ, Dooley S, Lewis W, Meldrum CJ, Pockney P, Draganic B, Smith S, Hewitt C, Philimore H, Lucas A, Shi E, Namdarian K, Chan T, Acosta D, Ping-Chang S, Tannapfel A, Reinacher-Schick A, Uhl W, Teschendorf C, Wolters H, Stern J, Viebahn R, Friess H, Janssen KP, Nitsche U, Slotta-Huspenina J, Pohl M, Vangala D, Baraniskin A, Dockhorn-Dworniczak B, Hegewisch-Becker S, Ronga P, Edelstein DL, Jones FS, Hahn S, Fox SB
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Prospective multicenter real-world RAS mutation comparison between OncoBEAM-based liquid biopsy and tissue analysis in metastatic colorectal cancer.
- Authors: García-Foncillas J, Tabernero J, Élez E, Aranda E, Benavides M, Camps C, Jantus-Lewintre E, López R, Muinelo-Romay L, Montagut C, Antón A, López G, Díaz-Rubio E, Rojo F, Vivancos A
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- RAS testing of liquid biopsy correlates with the outcome of metastatic colorectal cancer patients treated with first-line FOLFIRI plus cetuximab in the CAPRI-GOIM trial.
- Authors: Normanno N, Esposito Abate R, Lambiase M, Forgione L, Cardone C, Iannaccone A, Sacco A, Rachiglio AM, Martinelli E, Rizzi D, Pisconti S, Biglietto M, Bordonaro R, Troiani T, Latiano TP, Giuliani F, Leo S, Rinaldi A, Maiello E, Ciardiello F, CAPRI-GOIM Investigators
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 1
- Combined Analysis of Concordance between Liquid and Tumor Tissue Biopsies for RAS Mutations in Colorectal Cancer with a Single Metastasis Site: The METABEAM Study.
- Authors: Kagawa Y, Elez E, García-Foncillas J, Bando H, Taniguchi H, Vivancos A, Akagi K, García A, Denda T, Ros J, Nishina T, Baraibar I, Komatsu Y, Ciardiello D, Oki E, Kudo T, Kato T, Yamanaka T, Tabernero J, Yoshino T
- Issue date: 2021 May 1