Systemic treatment selection for patients with advanced pancreatic neuroendocrine tumours (PanNETs)
AuthorsMegdanova-Chipeva, Vera G
Backen, Alison C
McNamara, Mairead G
Valle, Juan W
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPancreatic neuroendocrine tumours (PanNETs) are rare diseases and a good example of how research is not only feasible, but also of crucial importance in the scenario of rare tumours. Many clinical trials have been performed over the past two decades expanding therapeutic options for patients with advanced PanNETs. Adequate management relies on optimal selection of treatment, which may be challenging for clinicians due to the fact that multiple options of therapy are currently available. A number of therapies already exist, which are supported by data from phase III studies, including somatostatin analogues and targeted therapies (sunitinib and everolimus). In addition, chemotherapy remains an option, with temozolomide and capecitabine being one of the most popular doublets to use. Peptide receptor radionuclide therapy was successfully implemented in patients with well-differentiated gastro-entero-pancreatic neuroendocrine tumours, but with certain questions waiting to be solved for the management of PanNETs. Finally, the role of immunotherapy is still poorly understood. In this review, the data supporting current systemic treatment options for locally advanced or metastatic PanNETs are summarized. Strategies for treatment selection in patients with PanNETs based on patient, disease, or drug characteristics is provided, as well as a summary of current evidence on prognostic and predictive biomarkers. Future perspectives are discussed, focusing on current and forthcoming challenges and unmet needs of patients with these rare tumours. Keywords: PRRT; chemotherapy; neuroendocrine; pancreatic; somatostatin analogues; targeted therapy; treatment.
CitationMegdanova-Chipeva VG, Lamarca A, Backen A, McNamara MG, Barriuso J, Sergieva S, et al. Systemic Treatment Selection for Patients with Advanced Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumours (PanNETs). Cancers (Basel). 2020;12(7).
- Systemic therapies in patients with advanced well-differentiated pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors (PanNETs): When cytoreduction is the aim. A critical review with meta-analysis.
- Authors: Pozzari M, Maisonneuve P, Spada F, Berruti A, Amoroso V, Cella CA, Laffi A, Pellicori S, Bertani E, Fazio N
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Advanced Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Neoplasms: Which Systemic Treatment Should I Start With?
- Authors: Rodriguez-Freixinos V, Thawer A, Capdevila J, Ferone D, Singh S
- Issue date: 2021 May 3
- Systemic Therapies for Metastatic Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumors.
- Authors: Hauser H, Gerson DS, Reidy-Lagunes D, Raj N
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 27
- Systemic treatment of neuroendocrine tumors with hepatic metastases.
- Authors: Demirkan BH, Eriksson B
- Issue date: 2012
- Pharmacodynamics, clinical findings and approval status of current and emerging tyrosine-kinase inhibitors for pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors.
- Authors: Fazio N, Cella CA, Del Re M, Laffi A, Rubino M, Zagami P, Spada F
- Issue date: 2019 Dec