Immunotherapy in older patients with non-small cell lung cancer: Young International Society of Geriatric Oncology position paper
AffiliationMedical Oncology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractImmunotherapy with checkpoint inhibitors against programmed cell death receptor (PD-1) and programmed cell death ligand (PD-L1) has been implemented in the treatment pathway of patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) from locally advanced disease to the metastatic setting. This approach has resulted in improved survival and a more favourable toxicity profile when compared with chemotherapy. Following the successful introduction of single-agent immunotherapy, current clinical trials are focusing on combination treatments with chemotherapy or radiotherapy or even other immunotherapeutic agents. However, most of the data available from these trials are derived from, and therefore might be more applicable to younger and fitter patients rather than older and often frail lung cancer real-world patients. This article provides a detailed review of these immunotherapy agents with a focus on the data available regarding older NSCLC patients and makes recommendations to fill evidence gaps in this patient population.
CitationGomes F, Wong M, Battisti NML, Kordbacheh T, Kiderlen M, Greystoke A, et al. Immunotherapy in older patients with non-small cell lung cancer: Young International Society of Geriatric Oncology position paper. Br J Cancer. 2020.
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Association of Survival and Immune-Related Biomarkers With Immunotherapy in Patients With Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Meta-analysis and Individual Patient-Level Analysis.
- Authors: Yu Y, Zeng D, Ou Q, Liu S, Li A, Chen Y, Lin D, Gao Q, Zhou H, Liao W, Yao H
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 3
- Cancer immunotherapy: a future paradigm shift in the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Anagnostou VK, Brahmer JR
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 1
- Comparison of Efficacy and Safety of Single and Double Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor-Based First-Line Treatments for Advanced Driver-Gene Wild-Type Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Systematic Review and Network Meta-Analysis.
- Authors: Xu Q, Zhang X, Huang M, Dai X, Gao J, Li S, Sheng L, Huang K, Wang J, Liu L
- Issue date: 2021
- The landscape of immune checkpoint inhibitor plus chemotherapy versus immunotherapy for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Authors: Wang C, Qiao W, Jiang Y, Zhu M, Shao J, Wang T, Liu D, Li W
- Issue date: 2020 May
- The role of checkpoint inhibitors immunotherapy in advanced non-small cell lung cancer in the elderly.
- Authors: Sgambato A, Casaluce F, Gridelli C
- Issue date: 2017 May