Current and novel therapeutic opportunities for systemic therapy in biliary cancer
AuthorsMarin, J. J. G.
Prete, M. G.
Macias, R. I. R.
Rodrigues, P. M.
Rodrigues, C. M. P.
Fernandez-Barrena, M. G.
Da Silva Ruivo, A.
Banales, J. M.
Valle, Juan W
AffiliationIBSAL, University of Salamanca, Salamanca, Spain.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBiliary tract cancers (BTCs) are a group of rare and aggressive malignancies that arise in the biliary tree within and outside the liver. Beyond surgical resection, which is beneficial for only a small proportion of patients, current strategies for treating patients with BTCs include chemotherapy, as a single agent or combination regimens, in the adjuvant and palliative setting. Increased characterisation of the molecular landscape of these tumours has facilitated the identification of molecular vulnerabilities, such as IDH mutations and FGFR fusions, that can be exploited for the treatment of BTC patients. Beyond targeted therapies, active research avenues explore the development of novel therapeutics that target the crosstalk between cancer and stroma, the cellular pathways involved in the regulation of cell death, the chemoresistance phenotype and the dysregulation of RNA. In this review, we discuss the therapeutic opportunities currently available in the management of BTC patients, and explore the strategies that can support the implementation of precision oncology in BTCs, including novel molecular targets, liquid biopsies and patient-derived predictive tools.
CitationMarin JJG, Prete MG, Lamarca A, Tavolari S, Landa-Magdalena A, Brandi G, et al. Current and novel therapeutic opportunities for systemic therapy in biliary cancer. Br J Cancer. 2020.
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Broadening the therapeutic horizon of advanced biliary tract cancer through molecular characterisation.
- Authors: Athauda A, Fong C, Lau DK, Javle M, Abou-Alfa GK, Morizane C, Steward K, Chau I
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Biliary Tract Cancer: State of the Art and potential role of DNA Damage Repair.
- Authors: Lamarca A, Barriuso J, McNamara MG, Valle JW
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- Emerging molecular target antagonists for the treatment of biliary tract cancer.
- Authors: Lombardi P, Marino D, Fenocchio E, Chilà G, Aglietta M, Leone F
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- Targets for therapy in biliary tract cancers: the new horizon of personalized medicine.
- Authors: Iyer P, Chen MH, Goyal L, Denlinger CS
- Issue date: 2020 Feb
- Molecular genetics and targeted therapeutics in biliary tract carcinoma.
- Authors: Marks EI, Yee NS
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 28