ESTRO ACROP guidelines for target volume definition in the thoracic radiation treatment of small cell lung cancer
AuthorsLe Pechoux, C.
Martin Putora, P.
De Ruysscher, D.
Van Houtte, P.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiation Oncology, Gustave Roussy, Institut d'Oncologie Thoracique (IOT), Villejuif, France.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRadiotherapy (RT) plays a major role in the treatment of small cell lung cancer (SCLC). Therefore, the ACROP committee was asked by ESTRO to provide recommendations on target volume delineation for standard clinical scenarios in definitive (chemo)-radiotherapy (CRT), adjuvant RT for stages I-III SCLC and consolidation thoracic RT for stage IV disease. The aim of these guidelines is to standardise and optimise the process of RT treatment planning for clinical practice and prospective studies. The process for the development of the guidelines included the evaluation of a structured questionnaire followed by a consensus discussion, voting and writing process within the committee. Firstly, we provide recommendations for both the imaging to be performed as part of the diagnostic work-up and for the RT planning process. Secondly, recommendations are made for target volume delineation including delineation of the primary gross tumour volume (GTV) and lymph node GTV and clinical tumour volume (CTV) expansion in the context of definitive and adjuvant RT. With regard to internal target volume (ITV) and planning target volume (PTV) definitions, we make recommendations about the management of geometric uncertainties and target motion. Finally, we provide our opinions on organ at risk (OAR) delineation and organisational issues to be considered. Keywords: Conformal Radiotherapy; Small Cell Lung Cancer; Target volumes; combined modality treatment.
CitationLe Pechoux C, Faivre-Finn C, Ramella S, McDonald F, Manapov F, Martin Putora P, et al. ESTRO ACROP guidelines for Target Volume Definition in the thoracic radiation treatment of Small cell lung cancer. Radiother Oncol. 2020.
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- ESTRO ACROP guidelines for target volume definition in the treatment of locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Nestle U, De Ruysscher D, Ricardi U, Geets X, Belderbos J, Pöttgen C, Dziadiuszko R, Peeters S, Lievens Y, Hurkmans C, Slotman B, Ramella S, Faivre-Finn C, McDonald F, Manapov F, Putora PM, LePéchoux C, Van Houtte P
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- ESTRO ACROP guidelines for target volume definition in pancreatic cancer.
- Authors: Brunner TB, Haustermans K, Huguet F, Morganti AG, Mukherjee S, Belka C, Krempien R, Hawkins MA, Valentini V, Roeder F
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- [Target volume margins for lung cancer: internal target volume/clinical target volume].
- Authors: Jouin A, Pourel N
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Daily cone-beam computed tomography used to determine tumour shrinkage and localisation in lung cancer patients.
- Authors: Knap MM, Hoffmann L, Nordsmark M, Vestergaard A
- Issue date: 2010 Oct
- Difference in target definition using three different methods to include respiratory motion in radiotherapy of lung cancer.
- Authors: Sloth Møller D, Knap MM, Nyeng TB, Khalil AA, Holt MI, Kandi M, Hoffmann L
- Issue date: 2017 Nov