The National Lung Matrix Trial of personalized therapy in lung cancer
Summers, Yvonne J
Mills, T. C.
Cerone, M. A.
Yap, T. A.
Watkins, T. B. K.
AffiliationInstitute of Immunology & Immunotherapy, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe majority of targeted therapies for non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) are directed against oncogenic drivers that are more prevalent in patients with light exposure to tobacco smoke1-3. As this group represents around 20% of all patients with lung cancer, the discovery of stratified medicine options for tobacco-associated NSCLC is a high priority. Umbrella trials seek to streamline the investigation of genotype-based treatments by screening tumours for multiple genomic alterations and triaging patients to one of several genotype-matched therapeutic agents. Here we report the current outcomes of 19 drug-biomarker cohorts from the ongoing National Lung Matrix Trial, the largest umbrella trial in NSCLC. We use next-generation sequencing to match patients to appropriate targeted therapies on the basis of their tumour genotype. The Bayesian trial design enables outcome data from open cohorts that are still recruiting to be reported alongside data from closed cohorts. Of the 5,467 patients that were screened, 2,007 were molecularly eligible for entry into the trial, and 302 entered the trial to receive genotype-matched therapy-including 14 that re-registered to the trial for a sequential trial drug. Despite pre-clinical data supporting the drug-biomarker combinations, current evidence shows that a limited number of combinations demonstrate clinically relevant benefits, which remain concentrated in patients with lung cancers that are associated with minimal exposure to tobacco smoke.
CitationMiddleton G, Fletcher P, Popat S, Savage J, Summers Y, Greystoke A, et al. The National Lung Matrix Trial of personalized therapy in lung cancer. Nature. 2020;583(7818):807-12.
- Biomarker-driven therapies for previously treated squamous non-small-cell lung cancer (Lung-MAP SWOG S1400): a biomarker-driven master protocol.
- Authors: Redman MW, Papadimitrakopoulou VA, Minichiello K, Hirsch FR, Mack PC, Schwartz LH, Vokes E, Ramalingam S, Leighl N, Bradley J, Miao J, Moon J, Highleyman L, Miwa C, LeBlanc ML, Malik S, Miller VA, Sigal EV, Adam S, Wholley D, Sigman C, Smolich B, Blanke CD, Kelly K, Gandara DR, Herbst RS
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- Genotyping and genomic profiling of non-small-cell lung cancer: implications for current and future therapies.
- Authors: Li T, Kung HJ, Mack PC, Gandara DR
- Issue date: 2013 Mar 10
- Personalizing therapy in advanced non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Villaruz LC, Burns TF, Ramfidis VS, Socinski MA
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- The National Lung Matrix Trial: translating the biology of stratification in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Middleton G, Crack LR, Popat S, Swanton C, Hollingsworth SJ, Buller R, Walker I, Carr TH, Wherton D, Billingham LJ
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- NGS analysis on tumor tissue and cfDNA for genotype-directed therapy in metastatic NSCLC patients. Between hope and hype?
- Authors: Falk AT, Heeke S, Hofman V, Lespinet V, Ribeyre C, Bordone O, Poudenx M, Otto J, Garnier G, Castelnau O, Guigay J, Leroy S, Marquette CH, Hofman P, Ilié M
- Issue date: 2017 Aug