Atezolizumab plus bevacizumab versus sunitinib for patients with untreated metastatic renal cell carcinoma and sarcomatoid features: a prespecified subgroup analysis of the IMmotion151 clinical trial
AuthorsRini, B. I.
Motzer, R. J.
McDermott, D. F.
Hawkins, Robert E
De Giorgi, U.
Atkins, M. B.
AffiliationVanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, USA.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPatients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma with sarcomatoid features (sRCC) have a poor prognosis and have shown limited responsiveness to inhibition of the VEGF pathway. We conducted a prespecified analysis of the randomised, phase 3 IMmotion151 trial in previously untreated patients with advanced or metastatic RCC to assess the effectiveness of atezolizumab + bevacizumab versus sunitinib in a subgroup of patients with sarcomatoid features. Patients whose tumour had any component of sarcomatoid features were included and received atezolizumab + bevacizumab (n = 68) or sunitinib (n = 74). Baseline characteristics were similar between the groups. Median progression-free survival was significantly longer in the group receiving atezolizumab + bevacizumab overall (8.3 vs 5.3 mo; hazard ratio [HR] 0.52 95% confidence interval [CI] 0.34-0.79) and in the subset of patients with PD-L1-positive tumours (8.6 vs 5.6 mo; HR 0.45, 95% CI 0.26-0.77). More patients receiving atezolizumab + bevacizumab achieved an objective response (49% vs 14%), including complete responses (10% vs 3%), and reported greater symptom improvements versus sunitinib. Safety was consistent with the known profiles of each drug and with that reported in the overall safety-evaluable population of IMmotion151. This analysis supports enhanced activity of atezolizumab + bevacizumab in patients with sRCC. PATIENT SUMMARY: In this report, we looked at patients with a specific type of kidney cancer (tumours with sarcomatoid features) that has been hard to treat. A treatment with two drugs (atezolizumab and bevacizumab) appeared to help patients live longer without the disease getting worse than another drug (sunitinib) that is often used. Patients who took the two drugs also said they were better able to carry out their everyday activities than patients who took sunitinib. The combination of these two drugs may work better in patients with this type of advanced kidney cancer.
CitationRini BI, Motzer RJ, Powles T, McDermott DF, Escudier B, Donskov F, et al. Atezolizumab plus Bevacizumab Versus Sunitinib for Patients with Untreated Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma and Sarcomatoid Features: A Prespecified Subgroup Analysis of the IMmotion151 Clinical Trial. Eur Urol. 2020.
- Final Overall Survival and Molecular Analysis in IMmotion151, a Phase 3 Trial Comparing Atezolizumab Plus Bevacizumab vs Sunitinib in Patients With Previously Untreated Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma.
- Authors: Motzer RJ, Powles T, Atkins MB, Escudier B, McDermott DF, Alekseev BY, Lee JL, Suarez C, Stroyakovskiy D, De Giorgi U, Donskov F, Mellado B, Banchereau R, Hamidi H, Khan O, Craine V, Huseni M, Flinn N, Dubey S, Rini BI
- Issue date: 2022 Feb 1
- Atezolizumab plus bevacizumab versus sunitinib in patients with previously untreated metastatic renal cell carcinoma (IMmotion151): a multicentre, open-label, phase 3, randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Rini BI, Powles T, Atkins MB, Escudier B, McDermott DF, Suarez C, Bracarda S, Stadler WM, Donskov F, Lee JL, Hawkins R, Ravaud A, Alekseev B, Staehler M, Uemura M, De Giorgi U, Mellado B, Porta C, Melichar B, Gurney H, Bedke J, Choueiri TK, Parnis F, Khaznadar T, Thobhani A, Li S, Piault-Louis E, Frantz G, Huseni M, Schiff C, Green MC, Motzer RJ, IMmotion151 Study Group.
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 15
- Patient-Reported Outcomes from the Phase III Randomized IMmotion151 Trial: Atezolizumab <b>+</b> Bevacizumab versus Sunitinib in Treatment-Naïve Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma.
- Authors: Atkins MB, Rini BI, Motzer RJ, Powles T, McDermott DF, Suarez C, Bracarda S, Stadler WM, Donskov F, Gurney H, Oudard S, Uemura M, Lam ET, Grüllich C, Quach C, Carroll S, Ding B, Zhu QC, Piault-Louis E, Schiff C, Escudier B
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 1
- Patient-reported outcomes in a phase 2 study comparing atezolizumab alone or with bevacizumab vs sunitinib in previously untreated metastatic renal cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Pal SK, McDermott DF, Atkins MB, Escudier B, Rini BI, Motzer RJ, Fong L, Joseph RW, Oudard S, Ravaud A, Bracarda S, Suárez C, Lam ET, Choueiri TK, Ding B, Quach C, Hashimoto K, Schiff C, Piault-Louis E, Powles T
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- Efficacy and Safety of Atezolizumab Plus Bevacizumab Following Disease Progression on Atezolizumab or Sunitinib Monotherapy in Patients with Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma in IMmotion150: A Randomized Phase 2 Clinical Trial.
- Authors: Powles T, Atkins MB, Escudier B, Motzer RJ, Rini BI, Fong L, Joseph RW, Pal SK, Sznol M, Hainsworth J, Stadler WM, Hutson TE, Ravaud A, Bracarda S, Suarez C, Choueiri TK, Reeves J, Cohn A, Ding B, Leng N, Hashimoto K, Huseni M, Schiff C, McDermott DF
- Issue date: 2021 May