Considerations for the treatment of pancreatic cancer during the COVID-19 pandemic: the UK consensus position
AuthorsJones, C. M.
Jamieson, N. B.
Palmer, D. H.
Valle, Juan W
Hawkins, M. A.
AffiliationFaculty of Biological Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds,
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic epicentre has moved to the USA and Europe, where it is placing unprecedented demands on healthcare resources and staff availability. These service constraints, coupled with concerns relating to an increased incidence and severity of COVID-19 among patients with cancer, should lead to re-consideration of the risk-benefit balance for standard treatment pathways. This is of particular importance to pancreatic cancer, given that standard diagnostic modalities such as endoscopy may be restricted, and that disease biology precludes significant delays in treatment. In light of this, we sought consensus from UK clinicians with an interest in pancreatic cancer for management approaches that would minimise patient risk and accommodate for healthcare service restrictions. The outcomes are described here and include recommendations for treatment prioritisation, strategies to bridge to later surgical resection in resectable disease and factors that modify the risk-benefit balance for treatment in the resectable through to the metastatic settings. Priority is given to strategies that limit hospital visits, including through the use of hypofractionated precision radiotherapy and chemoradiotherapy treatment approaches.
CitationJones CM, Radhakrishna G, Aitken K, Bridgewater J, Corrie P, Eatock M, et al. Considerations for the treatment of pancreatic cancer during the COVID-19 pandemic: the UK consensus position. Br J Cancer. 2020:1-5.
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Australian and New Zealand consensus statement on the management of lymphoma, chronic lymphocytic leukaemia and myeloma during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Authors: Di Ciaccio P, McCaughan G, Trotman J, Ho PJ, Cheah CY, Gangatharan S, Wight J, Ku M, Quach H, Gasiorowski R, Polizzotto MN, Prince HM, Mulligan S, Tam CS, Gregory G, Hapgood G, Spencer A, Dickinson M, Latimer M, Johnston A, Armytage T, Lee C, Cochrane T, Berkhahn L, Weinkove R, Doocey R, Harrison SJ, Webber N, Lee HP, Chapman S, Campbell BA, Gibbs SDJ, Hamad N
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- A Practical Approach to the Management of Cancer Patients During the Novel Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic: An International Collaborative Group.
- Authors: Al-Shamsi HO, Alhazzani W, Alhuraiji A, Coomes EA, Chemaly RF, Almuhanna M, Wolff RA, Ibrahim NK, Chua MLK, Hotte SJ, Meyers BM, Elfiki T, Curigliano G, Eng C, Grothey A, Xie C
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- China's successful control of COVID-19.
- Authors: Burki T
- Issue date: 2020 Nov
- COVID-19 and cancer research.
- Authors: Harris AL
- Issue date: 2020 Sep
- Practice recommendations for lung cancer radiotherapy during the COVID-19 pandemic: An ESTRO-ASTRO consensus statement.
- Authors: Guckenberger M, Belka C, Bezjak A, Bradley J, Daly ME, DeRuysscher D, Dziadziuszko R, Faivre-Finn C, Flentje M, Gore E, Higgins KA, Iyengar P, Kavanagh BD, Kumar S, Le Pechoux C, Lievens Y, Lindberg K, McDonald F, Ramella S, Rengan R, Ricardi U, Rimner A, Rodrigues GB, Schild SE, Senan S, Simone CB 2nd, Slotman BJ, Stuschke M, Videtic G, Widder J, Yom SS, Palma D
- Issue date: 2020 May