AffiliationTranscriptional Networks in Lung Cancer Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, University of Manchester, Alderley Park, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLung cancer is associated with a high mortality, with around 1.8 million deaths worldwide in 2018. Non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) accounts for around 85% of cases and, despite improvement in the management of NSCLC, most patients are diagnosed at advanced stage and the five-year survival remains around 15%. This highlights a need to identify novel ways to treat the disease to reduce the burden of NSCLC. Long non-coding RNAs (lncRNAs) are non-coding RNA molecules longer than 200 nucleotides in length which play important roles in gene expression and signaling pathways. Recently, lncRNAs were implicated in cancer, where their expression is dysregulated resulting in aberrant functions. LncRNAs were shown to function as both tumor suppressors and oncogenes in a variety of cancer types. Although there are a few well characterized lncRNAs in NSCLC, many lncRNAs remain un-characterized and their mechanisms of action largely unknown. LncRNAs have success as therapies in neurodegenerative diseases, and having a detailed understanding of their function in NSCLC may guide novel therapeutic approaches and strategies. This review discusses the role of lncRNAs in NSCLC tumorigenesis, highlighting their mechanisms of action and their clinical potential. Keywords: long non-coding RNAs; non-small-cell lung cancer.
CitationGinn L, Shi L, Montagna M, Garofalo M. LncRNAs in Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer. Noncoding RNA. 2020;6(3).
- Long noncoding RNAs: new insights into non-small cell lung cancer biology, diagnosis and therapy.
- Authors: Ricciuti B, Mencaroni C, Paglialunga L, Paciullo F, Crinò L, Chiari R, Metro G
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Long non-coding RNAs: How to regulate the metastasis of non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Fang C, Wang L, Gong C, Wu W, Yao C, Zhu S
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- Roles of Wnt/β-Catenin Signaling Pathway Regulatory Long Non-Coding RNAs in the Pathogenesis of Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Lin S, Zhen Y, Guan Y, Yi H
- Issue date: 2020
- Comprehensive analysis of differentially expressed long non-coding RNAs in non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Zhou W, Liu T, Saren G, Liao L, Fang W, Zhao H
- Issue date: 2019 Aug
- Long Non-coding RNAs and Their Roles in Non-small-cell Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Wei MM, Zhou GB
- Issue date: 2016 Oct