Full 3D position reconstruction of a radioactive source based on a novel hyperbolic geometrical algorithm
AffiliationDivision of Cancer Sciences, University of Manchester,The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, M20 4BX, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA new method to locate, with millimetre uncertainty, in 3D, an x-ray source emitting multiple X-rays in a cascade, employing conventional LaBr3(Ce) scintillation detectors, has been developed. Using 16 detectors in a symmetrical configuration the detector energy and time signals, resulting from the X-ray interactions, are fed into a new source position reconstruction algorithm. The Monte-Carlo based Geant4 framework has been used to simulate the detector array and a 60Co source located at two positions within the spectrometer central volume. For a source located at (0,0,0) the algorithm reports X, Y, Z values of -0.3 ± 2.5, -0.4 ± 2.4, and -0.6 ± 2.5 mm, respectively. For a source located at (20,20,20) mm, with respect to the array centre, the algorithm reports X, Y, Z values of 20.2 ± 1.0, 20.2 ± 0.9, and 20.1 ± 1.2 mm. The resulting precision of the reconstruction means that this technique could find application in a number of areas including nuclear medicine, national security, radioactive waste assay and proton beam therapy. Keywords: Gamma-ray spectroscopy; Reconstruction algorithm; Source emission position reconstruction.
CitationPanaino CMV, Mackay RI, Sotiropoulos M, Kirkby KJ, Taylor MJ. Full 3D position reconstruction of a radioactive source based on a novel hyperbolic geometrical algorithm. Comput Phys Commun. 2020;252:107131.
JournalComputer Physics Communications
- Abstract ID: 171 A Monte Carlo study to reduce range uncertainty in proton beam therapy via prompt gamma-ray detection.
- Authors: Panaino C, Taylor MJ, MacKay R, Merchant MJ, Price T, Pheonix B, Green S
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- A New Method to Reconstruct in 3D the Emission Position of the Prompt Gamma Rays following Proton Beam Irradiation.
- Authors: Panaino CMV, Mackay RI, Kirkby KJ, Taylor MJ
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 11
- Performance of long rectangular semi-monolithic scintillator PET detectors.
- Authors: Zhang X, Wang X, Ren N, Hu B, Ding B, Kuang Z, Wu S, Sang Z, Hu Z, Du J, Liang D, Liu X, Zheng H, Yang Y
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Gamma-gamma coincidence performance of LaBr<sub>3</sub>:Ce scintillation detectors vs HPGe detectors in high count-rate scenarios.
- Authors: Drescher A, Yoho M, Landsberger S, Durbin M, Biegalski S, Meier D, Schwantes J
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- An edge-readout, multilayer detector for positron emission tomography.
- Authors: Li X, Ruiz-Gonzalez M, Furenlid LR
- Issue date: 2018 Jun