E-Cadherin expression in blastic plasmacytoid dendritic cell neoplasms: an unrecognized finding and potential diagnostic pitfall
Dennis, Michael|Ong, A
Wiseman, Daniel H
Menasce, Lia P
AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Mancheste
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractE-cadherin is expressed in hematopoietic erythroid precursors, but to our knowledge, its expression in blastic plasmacytoid dendritic cell neoplasm (BPDCN) has not been described. We report a case of BPDCN showing strong expression of E-cadherin, arising in a patient with history of primary myelofibrosis. Four more cases of BPDCN tested all showed strong expression of E-cadherin. Lack of awareness of this pattern of expression may lead to erroneous diagnosis of acute erythroid leukemia. It is increasingly becoming important to correctly identify this group of neoplasms, as approved new anti-CD123-targeted therapies are becoming available. Keywords: E-cadherin expression; acute erythroid leukemia; anti-CD123-targeted therapies; blastic plasmacytoid dendritic cell neoplasms; erroneous diagnosis; primary myelofibrosis.
CitationShenjere P, Chasty R, Chaturvedi A, Dennis MW, Ong A, Wiseman DH, et al. E-Cadherin Expression in Blastic Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cell Neoplasms: An Unrecognized Finding and Potential Diagnostic Pitfall. Int J Surg Pathol. 2020:1066896920938130.
JournalInternational Journal of Surgical Pathology
- Immunotherapies Targeting CD123 for Blastic Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cell Neoplasm.
- Authors: Xue T, Budde LE
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Cytogenetic Findings in a Case of Blastic Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cell Neoplasm (BPDCN).
- Authors: Tirado CA, Reinartz J, Lapp K, Zhao D, Nguyen AM, Stieglbauer K
- Issue date: 2020
- Atypical presentation of blastic plasmacytoid dendritic cell neoplasm: A potential diagnostic pitfall in nasal cavity.
- Authors: Yu F, Sun K, Wang Z
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Unique presentation of blastic plasmacytoid dendritic cell neoplasm: a single-center experience and literature review.
- Authors: Paluri R, Nabell L, Borak S, Peker D
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Dual Expression of TCF4 and CD123 Is Highly Sensitive and Specific For Blastic Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cell Neoplasm.
- Authors: Sukswai N, Aung PP, Yin CC, Li S, Wang W, Wang SA, Ortega V, Lyapichev K, Nagarajan P, Alfattal R, Angelova E, Tang Z, Loghavi S, Kanagal-Shamanna R, Miranda RN, Pemmaraju N, Bhalla K, Konopleva M, Medeiros LJ, Khoury JD
- Issue date: 2019 Oct