AffiliationDepartment of Acute Medicine and Critical Care, The Christie, NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Immune checkpoint inhibitors (ICIs) have a wide range of toxicities affecting potentially any organ system stemming from increased activity within the T-cell lineage similar to that observed in autoimmunity. Case report: A 57-year-old man with metastatic papillary renal cell carcinoma treatment with combination ICI therapy presented with a history of rapidly progressive diplopia. Neurological examination revealed bilateral fatigable ptosis and asymmetrical ophthalmoplegia. His clinical findings were in keeping with an immune-mediated myasthenia gravis. He was immediately commenced on 1 mg/kg of intravenous methylprednisolone and pyridostigmine 60 mg 3 times a day. On day 2 of admission he was given 1 g/kg of intravenous immunoglobulins. He made a rapid and full clinical recovery. WHY SHOULD AN EMERGENCY PHYSICIAN BE AWARE OF THIS?: Immune-mediated myasthenia gravis is an important toxicity of ICIs. Early recognition and treatment of this presentation may reduce the significant morbidity and mortality associated with it. Keywords: immune checkpoint inhibitors; myasthenia gravis; toxicity.
CitationHo AK, Cooksley T. Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor-Mediated Myasthenia Gravis. J Emerg Med. 2020.
JournalJournal of Emergency Medicine
- An unusual presentation of myasthenia gravis.
- Authors: Chijoke A, Ogunmodele JA
- Issue date: 2009 Nov-Dec
- Myasthenia gravis and prostatic neoplasia: a rare association.
- Authors: Pereira MS, Escarigo MC, Correia Azevedo P, Delerue F
- Issue date: 2021 May 21
- Ocular motor dysfunction and ptosis in ocular myasthenia gravis: effects of treatment.
- Authors: Kupersmith MJ, Ying G
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Trauma-induced myasthenia gravis: coincidence or causal relationship?
- Authors: Siriratnam P, Zhang W, Faragher M
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 2
- Hemisensory loss in myasthenia gravis.
- Authors: Marshall B, Sharma U, Benes-Lima L, Rossi FH
- Issue date: 2021 Mar 17