Emergency ambulatory outpatient management of immune-mediated hypophysitis
AffiliationDepartment of Acute Medicine and Critical Care, The Christie, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPurpose: Immune-mediated hypophysitis is an important toxicity related to immune checkpoint inhibitors (ICI). Optimal management is associated with improved outcomes. It represents a wide spectrum of clinical presentations, and a proportion may be suitable for emergency ambulatory management. Methods: Emergency ambulatory management of patients presenting with clinical features and findings consistent with ICI-induced hypophysitis was considered at a tertiary cancer/endocrinology hospital. Suitable patients were initially investigated and treated in accordance with the UK emergency management guidelines for ICI induced hypophysitis. After an initial observation period of 4 h, patients were discharged with oral hydrocortisone (20, 10, 10 mg). Results: An initial cohort of 4 patients with emergency presentations of ICI-induced hypophysitis has been managed in an ambulatory fashion in the first 3 months. There were no 30-day readmissions. Conclusion: Carefully selected emergency presentations with immune-mediated hypophysitis may be suitable for ambulatory management. Keywords: Ambulatory; Emergency oncology; Hypophysitis; Immune checkpoint inhibitors.
CitationCooksley T, Knight T, Gupta A, Higham C, Lorigan P, Adam S. Emergency ambulatory outpatient management of immune-mediated hypophysitis. Supportive care in cancer : official journal of the Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer. 2020;28(9):3995-9.
JournalSupportive Care in Cancer
- Emergency Presentations of Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor-Related Endocrinopathies.
- Authors: Knight T, Cooksley T
- Issue date: 2021 Aug
- MANAGEMENT OF ENDOCRINE DISEASE: Immune check point inhibitors-induced hypophysitis.
- Authors: Albarel F, Castinetti F, Brue T
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 1
- A COMMON PITUITARY AUTOANTIBODY IN TWO PATIENTS WITH IMMUNE CHECKPOINT INHIBITOR-MEDIATED HYPOPHYSITIS: ZCCHC8.
- Authors: Leiter A, Gnjatic S, Fowkes M, Kim-Schulze S, Laface I, Galsky MD, Gallagher EJ
- Issue date: 2020 Jul-Aug
- Hypophysitis and other autoimmune complications related to immune checkpoints inhibitors´ treatment: Spectrum of imaging appearances.
- Authors: Malikova H, Holesta M, Fialova A, Arenbergerova M, Weichet J
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Recovery from secondary adrenal insufficiency in a patient with immune checkpoint inhibitor therapy induced hypophysitis.
- Authors: Thapi S, Leiter A, Galsky M, Gallagher EJ
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 12