A precise, reproducible method for measuring ultrasound probe slice thickness using a Gammex 403 phantom
AffiliationThe Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA precise, reproducible method for measuring ultrasound probe slice thickness has been developed for linear array ultrasound probes. The method used a custom built jig to draw the probe along the surface of a Gammex 403 phantom, with the image plane parallel to the filaments within the phantom. Still images at 0.5 mm intervals are saved for post-processing using in-house software. Slice thickness measurements with a precision of 0.1 mm are obtained. The method was shown to give reproducible estimates of probe slice thickness at several depths to within 0.4 mm during repeat tests. The method was able to provide information about the slice thickness of different sections of the probe face. It is expected that the method can quantify changes in probe performance due to lens wear or replacement over time that may elude both in-plane and in-air reverberation-based tests. A total of 18 linear probes were tested across eight centres, including six specialist vascular ultrasound centres. Keywords: Gammex Phantom; Ultrasound beam; physics; quality assurance; slice thickness.
CitationJackson SJ, Russell S. A precise, reproducible method for measuring ultrasound probe slice thickness using a Gammex 403 phantom. Ultrasound. 2019;27(3):148-55.
- A dual modality phantom for cone beam CT and ultrasound image fusion in prostate implant.
- Authors: Ng A, Beiki-Ardakan A, Tong S, Moseley D, Siewerdsen J, Jaffray D, Yeung IW
- Issue date: 2008 May
- The analysis of in-air reverberation patterns from medical ultrasound transducers.
- Authors: Quinn T, Verma PK
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- SU-E-I-13: Evaluation of CT Number with Changing Scan Parameters for Nucletron Simulix Evolution CBCT.
- Authors: Gardner S, Li J, Xiao Y, Studenski M
- Issue date: 2012 Jun
- The evaluation of a 2D diode array in "magic phantom" for use in high dose rate brachytherapy pretreatment quality assurance.
- Authors: Espinoza A, Petasecca M, Fuduli I, Howie A, Bucci J, Corde S, Jackson M, Lerch ML, Rosenfeld AB
- Issue date: 2015 Feb
- [Impact of planning CT slice thickness on the accuracy of automatic target registration using the on-board cone-beam CT].
- Authors: Inoue H, Tanooka M, Doi H, Miura H, Nakagawa H, Sakai T, Oda M, Yasumasa K, Sakamoto K, Kamikonya N, Hirota S
- Issue date: 2011