Adjuvant chemotherapy in biliary tract cancer: state of the art and future perspectives
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology and Hematology, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPurpose of review: Biliary tract cancers (BTCs) have a poor prognosis; most patients present with advanced disease and, even after surgical resection for early-stage disease local and distant relapses are frequent. Involved resection margins and lymph node involvement are the most relevant known adverse prognostic factors. Historically clinicians have made clinical decisions based on data from institutional series and uncontrolled studies, with their inherent limitations. In this review, data from recently-reported prospective randomized trials are reviewed and clinical implications discussed. Recent findings: Results from prospective randomized phase III trials (namely BILCAP, PRODIGE-12, and BCAT) are reviewed: none of the studies met their primary endpoint by intention-to-treat analysis. However, following a per-protocol sensitivity analysis of the BILCAP study, adjuvant capecitabine (for 6 months) showed a clinically-relevant improvement in overall survival and provides reference data for future clinical trials. Summary: Adjuvant chemotherapy with capecitabine should be considered following curative resection of BTC. Identification of benefit in anatomical subgroups is ongoing and future trials should also consider the implication of molecular subtypes of BTC (for prognostic impact and on-target therapeutic options).
CitationAkhoundova Sanoyan D, McNamara MG, Lamarca A, Valle JW. Adjuvant chemotherapy in biliary tract cancer: state of the art and future perspectives. Curr Opin Oncol. 2020;32(4):364-9.
JournalCurrent Opinion in Oncology
- Gemcitabine-based chemotherapy for advanced biliary tract carcinomas.
- Authors: Abdel-Rahman O, Elsayed Z, Elhalawani H
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 6
- Adjuvant and neoadjuvant therapy for biliary tract cancer: a review of clinical trials.
- Authors: Nara S, Esaki M, Ban D, Takamoto T, Shimada K, Ioka T, Okusaka T, Ishii H, Furuse J
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 16
- Current standards and future perspectives in adjuvant treatment for biliary tract cancers.
- Authors: Lamarca A, Edeline J, McNamara MG, Hubner RA, Nagino M, Bridgewater J, Primrose J, Valle JW
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- Surgical treatment and adjuvant chemotherapy for patients with biliary tract cancer: single institution experience of 100 patients.
- Authors: Harada N, Shirabe K, Yoshizumi T, Ikegami T, Uchiyama H, Soejima Y, Yamashita Y, Saeki H, Oki E, Kawanaka H, Morita M, Ikeda T, Matsuura H, Okadome K, Maehara Y
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- [Adjuvant treatment of biliary tract cancers: Who and how?]
- Authors: Edeline J
- Issue date: 2020 Jan