van Herk, Marcel
AffiliationDepartment of Radiation Oncology, Leon Berard Cancer Center, Lyon, France.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe key goal and main challenge of radiation therapy is the elimination of tumors without any concurring damages of the surrounding healthy tissues and organs. Radiation doses required to achieve sufficient cancer-cell kill exceed in most clinical situations the dose that can be tolerated by the healthy tissues, especially when large parts of the affected organ are irradiated. High-precision radiation oncology aims at optimizing tumor coverage, while sparing normal tissues. Medical imaging during the preparation phase, as well as in the treatment room for localization of the tumor and directing the beam, referred to as image-guided radiotherapy (IGRT), is the cornerstone of precision radiation oncology. Sophisticated high-resolution real-time IGRT using X-rays, computer tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, or ultrasound, enables delivery of high radiation doses to tumors without significant damage of healthy organs. IGRT is the most convincing success story of radiation oncology over the last decades, and it remains a major driving force of innovation, contributing to the development of personalized oncology, for example, through the use of real-time imaging biomarkers for individualized dose delivery. Keywords: MR-linac; adaptive radiotherapy; brachytherapy; cone-beam CT; image guidance; molecular imaging; radiation; stereotactic radiotherapy.
CitationGregoire V, Guckenberger M, Haustermans K, Lagendijk JJW, Menard C, Potter R, et al. Image guidance in radiation therapy for better cure of cancer. Mol Oncol. 2020;14(7):1470-91.
- Advances in image-guided radiation therapy.
- Authors: Dawson LA, Jaffray DA
- Issue date: 2007 Mar 10
- First 500 Fractions Delivered with a Magnetic Resonance-guided Radiotherapy System: Initial Experience.
- Authors: Sahin B, Zoto Mustafayev T, Gungor G, Aydin G, Yapici B, Atalar B, Ozyar E
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 24
- Image-guided radiation therapy: Physician's perspectives.
- Authors: Gupta T, Narayan CA
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- The need for, and implementation of, image guidance in radiation therapy.
- Authors: Ibbott GS
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Advances in 4D medical imaging and 4D radiation therapy.
- Authors: Li G, Citrin D, Camphausen K, Mueller B, Burman C, Mychalczak B, Miller RW, Song Y
- Issue date: 2008 Feb