Recommendations for head and neck surgical oncology practice in a setting of acute severe resource constraint during the COVID-19 pandemic: an international consensus
Parente Arias, P
Thomson, David J
de Almeida, JR
AffiliationInstitute for Head and Neck Studies and Education, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe speed and scale of the global COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in unprecedented pressures on health services worldwide, requiring new methods of service delivery during the health crisis. In the setting of severe resource constraint and high risk of infection to patients and clinicians, there is an urgent need to identify consensus statements on head and neck surgical oncology practice. We completed a modified Delphi consensus process of three rounds with 40 international experts in head and neck cancer surgical, radiation, and medical oncology, representing 35 international professional societies and national clinical trial groups. Endorsed by 39 societies and professional bodies, these consensus practice recommendations aim to decrease inconsistency of practice, reduce uncertainty in care, and provide reassurance for clinicians worldwide for head and neck surgical oncology in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic and in the setting of acute severe resource constraint and high risk of infection to patients and staff.
CitationMehanna H, Hardman JC, Shenson JA, Abou-Foul AK, Topf MC, AlFalasi M, et al. Recommendations for head and neck surgical oncology practice in a setting of acute severe resource constraint during the COVID-19 pandemic: an international consensus. Lancet Oncol. 2020;21(7):e350-e9.
- Head and neck surgical oncology in the time of a pandemic: Subsite-specific triage guidelines during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Authors: MD Anderson Head and Neck Surgery Treatment Guidelines Consortium., Consortium members., Maniakas A, Jozaghi Y, Zafereo ME, Sturgis EM, Su SY, Gillenwater AM, Gidley PW, Lewis CM, Diaz E Jr, Goepfert RP, Kupferman ME, Gross ND, Hessel AC, Pytynia KB, Nader ME, Wang JR, Lango MN, Kiong KL, Guo T, Zhao X, Yao CMKL, Appelbaum E, Alpard J, Garcia JA, Terry S, Flynn JE, Bauer S, Fournier D, Burgess CG, Wideman C, Johnston M, You C, De Luna R, Joseph L, Diersing J, Prescott K, Heiberger K, Mugartegui L, Rodriguez J, Zendehdel S, Sellers J, Friddell RA, Thomas A, Khanjae SJ, Schwarzlose KB, Chambers MS, Hofstede TM, Cardoso RC, Wesson RA, Won A, Otun AO, Gombos DS, Al-Zubidi N, Hutcheson KA, Gunn GB, Rosenthal DI, Gillison ML, Ferrarotto R, Weber RS, Hanna EY, Myers JN, Lai SY
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Considerations for head and neck oncology practices during the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic: Wuhan and Toronto experience.
- Authors: Wu V, Noel CW, Forner D, Zhang ZJ, Higgins KM, Enepekides DJ, Lee JM, Witterick IJ, Kim JJ, Waldron JN, Irish JC, Hua QQ, Eskander A
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- French consensus on management of head and neck cancer surgery during COVID-19 pandemic.
- Authors: Fakhry N, Schultz P, Morinière S, Breuskin I, Bozec A, Vergez S, de Garbory L, Hartl D, Temam S, Lescanne E, Couloigner V, Barry B, French Society of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (SFORL)., French Society of Head and Neck Carcinology (SFCCF).
- Issue date: 2020 May
- Development and validation of a Surgical Prioritization and Ranking Tool and Navigation Aid for Head and Neck Cancer (SPARTAN-HN) in a scarce resource setting: Response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Authors: de Almeida JR, Noel CW, Forner D, Zhang H, Nichols AC, Cohen MA, Wong RJ, McMullen C, Graboyes EM, Divi V, Shuman AG, Rosko AJ, Lewis CM, Hanna EY, Myers J, Paleri V, Miles B, Genden E, Eskander A, Enepekides DJ, Higgins KM, Brown D, Chepeha DB, Witterick IJ, Gullane PJ, Irish JC, Monteiro E, Goldstein DP, Gilbert R
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 15
- Recommendations from the Canadian Association of Head and Neck Surgical Oncology for the Management of Head and Neck Cancers during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Authors: O'Connell DA, Seikaly H, Isaac A, Pyne J, Hart RD, Goldstein D, Yoo J, Canadian Association of Head and Neck Surgical Oncology.
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 29