International rare cancers initiative multicenter randomized phase II trial of cisplatin and fluorouracil versus carboplatin and paclitaxel in advanced anal cancer: InterAAct
Saunders, Mark P
AffiliationRoyal Marsden Hospital, London, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPurpose: To compare cisplatin plus fluorouracil (FU) versus carboplatin plus paclitaxel in chemotherapy-naïve advanced anal cancer to establish the optimal regimen. Patients and methods: Patients who had not received systemic therapy for advanced anal cancer were randomly assigned 1:1 to intravenous cisplatin 60 mg/m2 (day 1) plus FU 1,000 mg/m2 (days 1-4) every 21 days or carboplatin (area under the curve, 5; day 1) plus paclitaxel 80 mg/m2 (days 1, 8, and 15) every 28 days for 24 weeks, until disease progression, intolerable toxicity, or withdrawal of consent. Primary end point was objective response rate (ORR). Primary and secondary end points were assessed in a hierarchic model to compare the regimens and pick the winner. Results: We conducted an international multicenter randomized phase II study in 60 centers between December 2013 and November 2017. Median follow-up was 28.6 months. A total of 91 patients were randomly assigned: 46 to cisplatin plus FU and 45 to carboplatin plus paclitaxel. ORR was 57% (95% CI, 39.4% to 73.7%) for cisplatin plus FU versus 59% (95% CI, 42.1% to 74.4%) for carboplatin plus paclitaxel. More serious adverse events were noted in the cisplatin plus FU arm (62%) compared with the carboplatin plus paclitaxel arm (36%; P = .016). Median progression-free survival was 5.7 months (95% CI, 3.3 to 9.0 months) for cisplatin plus FU compared with 8.1 months (95% CI, 6.6 to 8.8 months) for carboplatin plus paclitaxel. Median overall survival was 12.3 months for cisplatin plus FU (95% CI, 9.2 to 17.7 months) compared with 20 months (95% CI, 12.7 months to not reached) for carboplatin plus paclitaxel (hazard ratio, 2.00; 95% CI, 1.15 to 3.47; P = .014). Conclusion: This is the first international randomized trial to our knowledge conducted in chemotherapy-naïve advanced anal cancer. Although there was no difference in ORR, the association with clinically relevant reduced toxicity and a trend toward longer survival suggest that carboplatin plus paclitaxel should be considered as a new standard of care.
CitationRao S, Sclafani F, Eng C, Adams RA, Guren MG, Sebag-Montefiore D, et al. International Rare Cancers Initiative Multicenter Randomized Phase II Trial of Cisplatin and Fluorouracil Versus Carboplatin and Paclitaxel in Advanced Anal Cancer: InterAAct. J Clin Oncol. 2020:JCO1903266.
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
- Effect of Taxane Plus Platinum Regimens vs Doxorubicin Plus Cisplatin as Adjuvant Chemotherapy for Endometrial Cancer at a High Risk of Progression: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Authors: Nomura H, Aoki D, Michimae H, Mizuno M, Nakai H, Arai M, Sasagawa M, Ushijima K, Sugiyama T, Saito M, Tokunaga H, Matoda M, Nakanishi T, Watanabe Y, Takahashi F, Saito T, Yaegashi N, Japanese Gynecologic Oncology Group.
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 1
- Randomized Trial of Intravenous Versus Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy Plus Bevacizumab in Advanced Ovarian Carcinoma: An NRG Oncology/Gynecologic Oncology Group Study.
- Authors: Walker JL, Brady MF, Wenzel L, Fleming GF, Huang HQ, DiSilvestro PA, Fujiwara K, Alberts DS, Zheng W, Tewari KS, Cohn DE, Powell MA, Van Le L, Davidson SA, Gray HJ, Rose PG, Aghajanian C, Myers T, Alvarez Secord A, Rubin SC, Mannel RS
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 1
- Paclitaxel Plus Carboplatin Versus Paclitaxel Plus Cisplatin in Metastatic or Recurrent Cervical Cancer: The Open-Label Randomized Phase III Trial JCOG0505.
- Authors: Kitagawa R, Katsumata N, Shibata T, Kamura T, Kasamatsu T, Nakanishi T, Nishimura S, Ushijima K, Takano M, Satoh T, Yoshikawa H
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 1
- Randomized Phase III Trial of Irinotecan Plus Cisplatin Compared With Paclitaxel Plus Carboplatin As First-Line Chemotherapy for Ovarian Clear Cell Carcinoma: JGOG3017/GCIG Trial.
- Authors: Sugiyama T, Okamoto A, Enomoto T, Hamano T, Aotani E, Terao Y, Suzuki N, Mikami M, Yaegashi N, Kato K, Yoshikawa H, Yokoyama Y, Tanabe H, Nishino K, Nomura H, Kim JW, Kim BG, Pignata S, Alexandre J, Green J, Isonishi S, Terauchi F, Fujiwara K, Aoki D
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 20
- Phase III trial of carboplatin and paclitaxel compared with cisplatin and paclitaxel in patients with optimally resected stage III ovarian cancer: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study.
- Authors: Ozols RF, Bundy BN, Greer BE, Fowler JM, Clarke-Pearson D, Burger RA, Mannel RS, DeGeest K, Hartenbach EM, Baergen R, Gynecologic Oncology Group.
- Issue date: 2003 Sep 1