An investigation into dose optimisation for imaging root canal anatomy using cone beam CT
AffiliationDublin Dental University Hospital, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVES: To identify a dose as low as diagnostically acceptable and a threshold level of image quality for CBCT imaging root canals, using maxillary first molar (M1M) second mesio-buccal (MB2) canals of varying complexity for two CBCT scanners. METHODS: Dose-area product (DAP) and contrast-to-noise ratio (CNR) were measured for two scanners at a range of exposure parameters. Subjective-image-quality assessment (SIQA) at the same exposures was performed for 3 M1M's of varying MB2 complexity, positioned in a anthropomorphic phantom. Nine raters (three endodontists, three dental radiologists and three junior staff) assessed canal visibility, using a five-point confidence scale rating (CSR). RESULTS: Identification of simple-moderate MB2 canal complexity was achieved at a range of protocols, with DAP values of /=209.3 mGy cm(2) and "/=203.2 mGy cm(2) and CNRs of 3 and 7.6 for Promax((R))3D and Accuitomo-F170((R)) respectively. For complex canal anatomy
CitationM. McGuigan, C. Theodorakou, H. F. Duncan et al. An investigation into dose optimisation for imaging root canal anatomy using cone beam CT. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2020:20200072.
- CBCT for the assessment of second mesiobuccal (MB2) canals in maxillary molar teeth: effect of voxel size and presence of root filling.
- Authors: Vizzotto MB, Silveira PF, Arús NA, Montagner F, Gomes BP, da Silveira HE
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Assessment of the Second Mesiobuccal Root Canal in Maxillary First Molars: A Cone-beam Computed Tomographic Study.
- Authors: Zhang Y, Xu H, Wang D, Gu Y, Wang J, Tu S, Qiu X, Zhang F, Luo Y, Xu S, Bai J, Simone G, Zhang G
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- A Cone-beam Computed Tomographic Study of Root and Canal Morphology of Maxillary First and Second Permanent Molars in a Thai Population.
- Authors: Ratanajirasut R, Panichuttra A, Panmekiate S
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Cone beam computed tomography radiation dose and image quality assessments.
- Authors: Lofthag-Hansen S
- Issue date: 2010
- Accuracy of Cone-beam Computed Tomography in the Detection of a Second Mesiobuccal Root Canal in Endodontically Treated Teeth: An Ex Vivo Study.
- Authors: Mirmohammadi H, Mahdi L, Partovi P, Khademi A, Shemesh H, Hassan B
- Issue date: 2015 Oct