Systemic anti-cancer therapy delivery in the home: a service model
AffiliationSACT Outreach Manager, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe Christie NHS Foundation Trust is a leader in adapting patient care in response to treatment advances and new patient-centred care/efficiency initiatives. Due to extended waiting times in cancer clinics, The Christie developed an at-home treatment service to help reduce the pressure on clinics and improve patient experience. This article provides a detailed examination of the requirements necessary to successfully develop a home service for the delivery of systemic anticancer treatment. The authors discuss the criteria used to identify suitable at-home treatments, as well as necessary resources and equipment. The success of the Christie at Home service was examined using a patient survey to assess the standard of this care. Details are given regarding the challenges of implementing a homecare service and potential future challenges. As an example, systemic treatment with eribulin as a 'Christie at Home' therapy demonstrates the practicalities of introduction of new therapies in a homecare service.
CitationV. Burns, V. Misra and N. Paton. Systemic anti-cancer therapy delivery in the home: a service model. Br J Nurs. 2020;29(10):S22-S29.
JournalBritish Journal of Nursing
- Developing an efficient scheduling template of a chemotherapy treatment unit: A case study.
- Authors: Ahmed Z, Elmekkawy T, Bates S
- Issue date: 2011
- Evidence Brief: The Quality of Care Provided by Advanced Practice Nurses
- Authors: McCleery E, Christensen V, Peterson K, Humphrey L, Helfand M
- Issue date: 2011
- The Guy's and St Thomas's NHS Foundation Trust @home service: an overview of a new service.
- Authors: Lee GA, Titchener K
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- The future of community nursing: Hospital in the Home.
- Authors: Lee G, Pickstone N, Facultad J, Titchener K
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 2
- The award winning "Completing the circle" complementary therapy service initiative at Christie NHS Hospital Manchester.
- Authors: Mackereth P
- Issue date: 2004 May