Clinical guidance for the management of patients with urothelial cancers during the COVID-19 pandemic - rapid review
AffiliationThe Rosemere Cancer Centre, Preston, Lancashire Teaching Hospitals, NHS Foundation, UK;
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe current COVID-19 pandemic presents a substantial obstacle to cancer patient care. Data from China as well as risk models suppose that cancer patients, particularly those on active, immunosuppressive therapies are at higher risks of severe infection from the illness. In addition, staff illness and restructuring of services to deal with the crisis will inevitably place treatment capacities under significant strain. These guidelines aim to expand on those provided by NHS England regarding cancer care during the coronavirus pandemic by examining the known literature and provide guidance in managing patients with urothelial and rarer urinary tract cancers. In particular, they address the estimated risk and benefits of standard treatments and consider the alternatives in the current situation. As a result, it is recommended that this guidance will help form a framework for shared decision making with patients. Moreover, they do not advise a one-size-fits-all approach but recommend continual assessment of the situation with discussion within and between centres.
CitationK. Patel, A. Choudhury, P. Hoskin et al. Clinical Guidance for the Management of Patients with Urothelial Cancers During the COVID-19 Pandemic - Rapid Review. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2020;32(6):347-353.
- Risks from Deferring Treatment for Genitourinary Cancers: A Collaborative Review to Aid Triage and Management During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Authors: Wallis CJD, Novara G, Marandino L, Bex A, Kamat AM, Karnes RJ, Morgan TM, Mottet N, Gillessen S, Bossi A, Roupret M, Powles T, Necchi A, Catto JWF, Klaassen Z
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- Delaying Cancer Cases in Urology during COVID-19: Review of the Literature.
- Authors: Tachibana I, Ferguson EL, Mahenthiran A, Natarajan JP, Masterson TA, Bahler CD, Sundaram CP
- Issue date: 2020 Nov
- Management of primary skin cancer during a pandemic: Multidisciplinary recommendations.
- Authors: Baumann BC, MacArthur KM, Brewer JD, Mendenhall WM, Barker CA, Etzkorn JR, Jellinek NJ, Scott JF, Gay HA, Baumann JC, Manian FA, Devlin PM, Michalski JM, Lee NY, Thorstad WL, Wilson LD, Perez CA, Miller CJ
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 1
- COVID-19 pandemic - is virtual urology clinic the answer to keeping the cancer pathway moving?
- Authors: Connor MJ, Winkler M, Miah S
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- SARS-CoV-2 From the Trenches: A Perspective From New York City.
- Authors: Gozansky EK, Moore WH
- Issue date: 2020 Jul