Clinical guidance for the management of patients with urothelial cancers during the COVID-19 pandemic - rapid review
AffiliationThe Rosemere Cancer Centre, Preston, Lancashire Teaching Hospitals, NHS Foundation, UK;
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe current COVID-19 pandemic presents a substantial obstacle to cancer patient care. Data from China as well as risk models suppose that cancer patients, particularly those on active, immunosuppressive therapies are at higher risks of severe infection from the illness. In addition, staff illness and restructuring of services to deal with the crisis will inevitably place treatment capacities under significant strain. These guidelines aim to expand on those provided by NHS England regarding cancer care during the coronavirus pandemic by examining the known literature and provide guidance in managing patients with urothelial and rarer urinary tract cancers. In particular, they address the estimated risk and benefits of standard treatments and consider the alternatives in the current situation. As a result, it is recommended that this guidance will help form a framework for shared decision making with patients. Moreover, they do not advise a one-size-fits-all approach but recommend continual assessment of the situation with discussion within and between centres.
CitationK. Patel, A. Choudhury, P. Hoskin et al. Clinical Guidance for the Management of Patients with Urothelial Cancers During the COVID-19 Pandemic - Rapid Review. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2020;32(6):347-353.
- The hallmarks of COVID-19 disease.
- Authors: Tang D, Comish P, Kang R
- Issue date: 2020 May
- Clinical trials and the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Authors: Retsas S
- Issue date: 2020 Jan-Apr
- Current Status of Epidemiology, Diagnosis, Therapeutics, and Vaccines for Novel Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).
- Authors: Ahn DG, Shin HJ, Kim MH, Lee S, Kim HS, Myoung J, Kim BT, Kim SJ
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 28
- Virology, Epidemiology, Pathogenesis, and Control of COVID-19.
- Authors: Jin Y, Yang H, Ji W, Wu W, Chen S, Zhang W, Duan G
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 27
- Managing haematology and oncology patients during the COVID-19 pandemic: interim consensus guidance.
- Authors: Weinkove R, McQuilten ZK, Adler J, Agar MR, Blyth E, Cheng AC, Conyers R, Haeusler GM, Hardie C, Jackson C, Lane SW, Middlemiss T, Mollee P, Mulligan SP, Ritchie D, Ruka M, Solomon B, Szer J, Thursky KA, Wood EM, Worth LJ, Yong MK, Slavin MA, Teh BW
- Issue date: 2020 Jun