Management of colorectal cancer metastases to the liver, lung or peritoneum suitable for curative intent: summary of NICE guidance
Braun, Michael S
Davies, R. J.
AffiliationPeritoneal Malignancy Institute and North Hampshire Hospital, Basingstoke, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe management of metastatic colorectal cancer has undergone a strategic evolution with improvements in imaging, biomarker-based selection for systemic anticancer therapy (SACT), and innovations in surgical and local ablative techniques. Since the concept of oligometastatic disease was introduced 1, the benefit of adding metastases-directed local therapy to standard-of-care systemic treatment has been unclear. Decision-making in these situations is often complex and dynamic, involving clinicians from a variety of specialties. The most common sites of metastases from colorectal cancer are the liver, lung and peritoneum. As part of the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) guideline update for colorectal cancer 2 the Guideline Committee reviewed the evidence to support treatment decisions for patients with metastases to these sites. The evidence reviews and the methods used are available on the NICE website 2. Here, the key evidence behind the NICE guidance is highlighted.
CitationF. Mohamed, M. Kallioinen, M. Braun et al. Management of colorectal cancer metastases to the liver, lung or peritoneum suitable for curative intent: summary of NICE guidance. Br J Surg. 2020
JournalBritish Journal of Surgery
- Curative-intent treatment of recurrent colorectal liver metastases: A comparison between ablation and resection.
- Authors: Dupré A, Jones RP, Diaz-Nieto R, Fenwick SW, Poston GJ, Malik HZ
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- [Liver and lung metastases of colorectal cancer. Long-term survival and prognostic factors].
- Authors: Sponholz S, Bölükbas S, Schirren M, Oguzhan S, Kudelin N, Schirren J
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Incidence, prognosis, and treatment options for patients with synchronous peritoneal carcinomatosis and liver metastases from colorectal origin.
- Authors: Thomassen I, van Gestel YR, Lemmens VE, de Hingh IH
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Prognostic value of metabolic parameters in patients with synchronous colorectal cancer liver metastasis following curative-intent colorectal and hepatic surgery.
- Authors: Lee HS, Kim HO, Hong YS, Kim TW, Kim JC, Yu CS, Kim JS
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- Predictors and outcome of complete removal of colorectal cancer with synchronous lung metastases.
- Authors: Nozawa H, Tanaka J, Nishikawa T, Tanaka T, Kiyomatsu T, Kawai K, Hata K, Kazama S, Yamaguchi H, Ishihara S, Sunami E, Kitayama J, Nakajima J, Kokudo N, Watanabe T
- Issue date: 2015 Sep