Management of colorectal cancer metastases to the liver, lung or peritoneum suitable for curative intent: summary of NICE guidance
Braun, Michael S
Davies, R. J.
AffiliationPeritoneal Malignancy Institute and North Hampshire Hospital, Basingstoke, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe management of metastatic colorectal cancer has undergone a strategic evolution with improvements in imaging, biomarker-based selection for systemic anticancer therapy (SACT), and innovations in surgical and local ablative techniques. Since the concept of oligometastatic disease was introduced 1, the benefit of adding metastases-directed local therapy to standard-of-care systemic treatment has been unclear. Decision-making in these situations is often complex and dynamic, involving clinicians from a variety of specialties. The most common sites of metastases from colorectal cancer are the liver, lung and peritoneum. As part of the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) guideline update for colorectal cancer 2 the Guideline Committee reviewed the evidence to support treatment decisions for patients with metastases to these sites. The evidence reviews and the methods used are available on the NICE website 2. Here, the key evidence behind the NICE guidance is highlighted.
CitationF. Mohamed, M. Kallioinen, M. Braun et al. Management of colorectal cancer metastases to the liver, lung or peritoneum suitable for curative intent: summary of NICE guidance. Br J Surg. 2020
JournalBritish Journal of Surgery
- Liver, lung and peritoneal metastases in colorectal cancers: is the patient still curable? What should the radiologist know.
- Authors: Dromain C, Caramella C, Dartigues P, Goere D, Ducreux M, Deschamps F
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Management of synchronous distant metastasis of colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Murono K, Ishihara S, Watanabe T
- Issue date: 2017
- Historical perspective: Two decades of progress in treating metastatic colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Lee RM, Cardona K, Russell MC
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Colorectal cancer: Metastases to a single organ.
- Authors: Vatandoust S, Price TJ, Karapetis CS
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 7
- Cytoreductive surgery and HIPEC for peritoneal metastases combined with curative treatment of colorectal liver metastases: Systematic review of all literature and meta-analysis of observational studies.
- Authors: de Cuba EM, Kwakman R, Knol DL, Bonjer HJ, Meijer GA, Te Velde EA
- Issue date: 2013 Jun