Reliability and prognostic value of radiomic features are highly dependent on choice of feature extraction platform
Ackermann, Christoph J
Blackhall, Fiona H
McPartlin, Andrew J
Price, Gareth J
O'Connor, James P B
AffiliationDivision of Cancer Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVE: To investigate the effects of Image Biomarker Standardisation Initiative (IBSI) compliance, harmonisation of calculation settings and platform version on the statistical reliability of radiomic features and their corresponding ability to predict clinical outcome. METHODS: The statistical reliability of radiomic features was assessed retrospectively in three clinical datasets (patient numbers: 108 head and neck cancer, 37 small-cell lung cancer, 47 non-small-cell lung cancer). Features were calculated using four platforms (PyRadiomics, LIFEx, CERR and IBEX). PyRadiomics, LIFEx and CERR are IBSI-compliant, whereas IBEX is not. The effects of IBSI compliance, user-defined calculation settings and platform version were assessed by calculating intraclass correlation coefficients and confidence intervals. The influence of platform choice on the relationship between radiomic biomarkers and survival was evaluated using univariable cox regression in the largest dataset. RESULTS: The reliability of radiomic features calculated by the different software platforms was only excellent (ICC 0.9) for 4/17 radiomic features when comparing all four platforms. Reliability improved to ICC " 0.9 for 15/17 radiomic features when analysis was restricted to the three IBSI-compliant platforms. Failure to harmonise calculation settings resulted in poor reliability
CitationI. Fornacon-Wood, H. Mistry, C. J. Ackermann et al Reliability and prognostic value of radiomic features are highly dependent on choice of feature extraction platform. Eur Radiol. 2020.
- Radiomics software comparison using digital phantom and patient data: IBSI-compliance does not guarantee concordance of feature values.
- Authors: Paquier Z, Chao SL, Acquisto A, Fenton C, Guiot T, Dhont J, Levillain H, Gulyban A, Bali MA, Reynaert N
- Issue date: 2022 Sep 13
- Technical Note: An IBEX adaption toward image biomarker standardization.
- Authors: Bettinelli A, Branchini M, De Monte F, Scaggion A, Paiusco M
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- Technical Note: ROdiomiX: A validated software for radiomics analysis of medical images in radiation oncology.
- Authors: Bagher-Ebadian H, Chetty IJ
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- Radiomics feature stability of open-source software evaluated on apparent diffusion coefficient maps in head and neck cancer.
- Authors: Korte JC, Cardenas C, Hardcastle N, Kron T, Wang J, Bahig H, Elgohari B, Ger R, Court L, Fuller CD, Ng SP
- Issue date: 2021 Sep 3
- Homology-based radiomic features for prediction of the prognosis of lung cancer based on CT-based radiomics.
- Authors: Kadoya N, Tanaka S, Kajikawa T, Tanabe S, Abe K, Nakajima Y, Yamamoto T, Takahashi N, Takeda K, Dobashi S, Takeda K, Nakane K, Jingu K
- Issue date: 2020 Jun