TH1579, MTH1 inhibitor, delays tumour growth and inhibits metastases development in osteosarcoma model
Gorgoulis, Vassilis G
AffiliationUniversite de Nantes, INSERM, U1238, Sarcomes osseux et remodelage des tissus calcifies, Team 3, Epistress, Rue Gaston Veil, 44035 Nantes cedex, France
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Osteosarcoma (OS) is the most common primary malignant bone tumour. Unfortunately, no new treatments are approved and over the last 30 years the survival rate remains only 30% at 5 years for poor responders justifying an urgent need of new therapies. The Mutt homolog 1 (MTH1) enzyme prevents incorporation of oxidized nucleotides into DNA and recently developed MTH1 inhibitors may offer therapeutic potential as MTH1 is overexpressed in various cancers. METHODS: The aim of this study was to evaluate the therapeutic benefits of targeting MTH1 with two chemical inhibitors, TH588 and TH1579 on human osteosarcoma cells. Preclinical efficacy of TH1579 was assessed in human osteosarcoma xenograft model on tumour growth and development of pulmonary metastases. FINDINGS: MTH1 is overexpressed in OS patients and tumour cell lines, compared to mesenchymal stem cells. In vitro, chemical inhibition of MTH1 by TH588 and TH1579 decreases OS cells viability, impairs their cell cycle and increases apoptosis in OS cells. TH1579 was confirmed to bind MTH1 by CETSA in OS model. Moreover, 90 mg/kg of TH1579 reduces in vivo tumour growth by 80.5% compared to non-treated group at day 48. This result was associated with the increase in 8-oxo-dG integration into tumour cells DNA and the increase of apoptosis. Additionally, TH1579 also reduces the number of pulmonary metastases. INTERPRETATION: All these results strongly provide a pre-clinical proof-of-principle that TH1579 could be a therapeutic option for patients with osteosarcoma. FUNDING: This study was supported by La Ligue Contre le Cancer, la SFCE and Enfants Cancers Santé.
CitationMoukengue B, Brown HK, Charrier C, Battaglia S, Baud'huin M, Quillard T, et al. TH1579, MTH1 inhibitor, delays tumour growth and inhibits metastases development in osteosarcoma model. EBioMedicine. 2020;53:102704.
- Validation and development of MTH1 inhibitors for treatment of cancer.
- Authors: Warpman Berglund U, Sanjiv K, Gad H, Kalderén C, Koolmeister T, Pham T, Gokturk C, Jafari R, Maddalo G, Seashore-Ludlow B, Chernobrovkin A, Manoilov A, Pateras IS, Rasti A, Jemth AS, Almlöf I, Loseva O, Visnes T, Einarsdottir BO, Gaugaz FZ, Saleh A, Platzack B, Wallner OA, Vallin KS, Henriksson M, Wakchaure P, Borhade S, Herr P, Kallberg Y, Baranczewski P, Homan EJ, Wiita E, Nagpal V, Meijer T, Schipper N, Rudd SG, Bräutigam L, Lindqvist A, Filppula A, Lee TC, Artursson P, Nilsson JA, Gorgoulis VG, Lehtiö J, Zubarev RA, Scobie M, Helleday T
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- AXL and CAV-1 play a role for MTH1 inhibitor TH1579 sensitivity in cutaneous malignant melanoma.
- Authors: Das I, Gad H, Bräutigam L, Pudelko L, Tuominen R, Höiom V, Almlöf I, Rajagopal V, Hansson J, Helleday T, Egyházi Brage S, Warpman Berglund U
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- Potent and specific MTH1 inhibitors targeting gastric cancer.
- Authors: Zhou W, Ma L, Yang J, Qiao H, Li L, Guo Q, Ma J, Zhao L, Wang J, Jiang G, Wan X, Adam Goscinski M, Ding L, Zheng Y, Li W, Liu H, Suo Z, Zhao W
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 4
- Delivery of MutT homolog 1 inhibitor by functionalized graphene oxide nanoparticles for enhanced chemo-photodynamic therapy triggers cell death in osteosarcoma.
- Authors: Huang X, Chen J, Wu W, Yang W, Zhong B, Qing X, Shao Z
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- The presumed MTH1-inhibitor TH588 sensitizes colorectal carcinoma cells to ionizing radiation in hypoxia.
- Authors: Pompsch M, Vogel J, Classen F, Kranz P, Iliakis G, Riffkin H, Brockmeier U, Metzen E
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 29