En-face optical coherence tomography for the detection of cancer in prostatectomy specimens: quantitative analysis in 20 patients
de Bruin, DM
van Leeuwen, TG
van Herk, Marcel
AffiliationAmsterdam UMC, University of Amsterdam, Department of Urology, Meibergdreef 9, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe increase histopathological evaluation of prostatectomy specimens rises the workload on pathologists. Automated histopathology systems, preferably directly on unstained specimens, would accelerate the pathology workflow. In this study, we investigate the potential of quantitative analysis of Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) to separate benign from malignant prostate tissue automatically. Twenty fixated prostates were cut, from which 54 slices were scanned by OCT. Quantitative OCT metrics (attenuation coefficient, residue, goodness-of-fit) were compared for different tissue types, annotated on the histology slides. To avoid misclassification, the poor-quality slides, and edges of annotations were excluded. Accurate registration of OCT data with histology was achieved in 31 slices. After removing outliers, 56% of the OCT data was compared with histopathology. The quantitative data could not separate malignant from benign tissue. Logistic regression resulted in malignant detection with a sensitivity of 0.80 and a specificity of 0.34. Quantitative OCT analysis should be improved before clinical use. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
CitationSwaan A, Muller BG, Wilk LS, Almasian M, Zwartkruis E, Rozendaal L, et al. En-face optical coherence tomography for the detection of cancer in prostatectomy specimens: quantitative analysis in 20 patients. Journal of biophotonics. 2020.
JournalJournal of Biophotonics
- One-to-one registration of en-face optical coherence tomography attenuation coefficients with histology of a prostatectomy specimen.
- Authors: Swaan A, Muller BG, Wilk LS, Almasian M, van Kollenburg RAA, Zwartkruis E, Rozendaal LR, de Bruin DM, Faber DJ, van Leeuwen TG, van Herk MB
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Needle-based optical coherence tomography for the detection of prostate cancer: a visual and quantitative analysis in 20 patients.
- Authors: Muller BG, van Kollenburg RAA, Swaan A, Zwartkruis ECH, Brandt MJ, Wilk LS, Almasian M, Schreurs AW, Faber DJ, Rozendaal LR, Vis AN, Nieuwenhuijzen JA, van Moorselaar JRJA, de la Rosette JJMCH, de Bruin DM, van Leeuwen TG
- Issue date: 2018 Aug
- Prostate cancer diagnosis by optical coherence tomography: First results from a needle based optical platform for tissue sampling.
- Authors: Muller BG, de Bruin DM, Brandt MJ, van den Bos W, van Huystee S, Faber DJ, Savci D, Zondervan PJ, de Reijke TM, Laguna-Pes MP, van Leeuwen TG, de la Rosette JJ
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Customized Tool for the Validation of Optical Coherence Tomography in Differentiation of Prostate Cancer.
- Authors: Muller BG, Swaan A, de Bruin DM, van den Bos W, Schreurs AW, Faber DJ, Zwartkruis EC, Rozendaal L, Vis AN, Nieuwenhuijzen JA, van Moorselaar RJ, van Leeuwen TG, de la Rosette JJ
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- The use of high resolution optical coherence tomography to evaluate robotic radical prostatectomy specimens.
- Authors: Dangle PP, Shah KK, Kaffenberger B, Patel VR
- Issue date: 2009 May-Jun